Website Help Please

zarenya

Hello All

Best wishes for all for the New Year!

www.allthatglitters.co.za

I have been working very hard and long on a website for client/friend. I can see my site perfectly in mozilla but for some reason the Ajatix Pure CSS Menu I used is not showing properly in Internet Explorer.

Can anyone be so kind to help me fix the errors.

Thanks in advance :)

Your menu is fine it is just hiding behind the Flash .swf

The solution is to use WMode in Flash as explained in the following article

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14201.html

In addition to making the flash parameter wmode transparent or opaque you normally have to add position: relative; z-index:1; to the menu ul or div tag and position: relative; z-index:-1; to the div tag containing the flash object and embed tags.

Thanks for all for the prompt replies. I went through my code and it appeared that the menu appeared twice in my browser. The site loads fast in Firefox but my client insists that SHE WANTS it to work in Internet Explorer.

My next dilemma is that I have two fadeslideshows adjacent to each other on main page but for some reason the slideshow on the righthand site (with celeb pics) is taking forever to load in IE. In mozilla it works fast.

Any suggestions.

Regards

Your client is quite right, the site should load in all versions of 6 to 8 of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera on both PC and Mac. Your whole first page takes forever to load whichever browser I look at, I didn't even get the header to show after more than 20 seconds in Firefox on a fast connection, much too long.

I think you have way too much going on in that first index page. I know clients often push to have everything they have on the first page, but you really can't see the forest for the trees. You have 7 different flash and javascript slideshows plus a drop down menu going on at the same time. All these images are being preloaded, plus you are using tables which adds extra mark up to your file, which is why the whole site takes time to appear. Then there is so much movement going on that there is nothing to focus on, and to see all that movement you have to scroll down, the whole thing becomes very confusing.

In design less is often more. I would suggest having your drop down menu and just one Flash slideshow which would highlight the different articles in the menu and maybe your celebs, but combine them into 1 swf file. Then clients could navigate from the menu to the item in which they are interested. You could then put another slideshow on the relevant page highlighting that item.