Absolute newby and want some feedback on first foray into HTML and CSS

DrunkMonkey

Hi, done a couple of the killersites.com tutorials (CSS and Web Design 1) and started on a friends site to test new skills(using the term loosely) not sure so far on how it's going - some things i like, some not sure on. To let you know also the top Logo and Background is his company logo that he got with the business. Also not sure how far i should go seeing i'm doing it for free almost. He's Located in Melbourne Australia, not that changes anything :rolleyes:

Was thinking of trying a bit of a flash presentation on the index page with his products and suppliers logo's/Shop photo's, but it's only a Mower shop, not that it needs a vibrant design, and so i would comments good, bad and in between. :mad:

it's at www.nojargoncomputers.com.au - until he gets some hosting -

The site does not validate, so you need to address that issue first.

1200px wide is too much, I would say a max of 1000px.

There is too much space between your #sideNav and the text.

Center aligned text does not look good, left align it.

Use of too many different fonts, weights and variants, keep it simple.

You should have a

tag either in the header or somewhere near the top of your markup. Your "no jargon design" should be in the footer. These 2

and

tags in the header are to help your client's SEO.

You should not be using tags in the footer.

Colourwise, unfortunately that yellow and black header is pretty overpowering, try toning it down by using a dark grey background instead of black on the main content. You could also just center it and keep it on a dark background instead of spreading the yellow across the whole page. The green of the footer is too bright.

Practice is good even if it is free, and if you are proud of your end result you can always use it in your portfolio.

Thanks for the comments,

I'd thought I had addressed the validation issues but had played around since then, but fixed that.

As for the main text I wasn't sure about all that, this is where I was going to put in the flash .swf in between the side nav and main text.

The design by - noted, I'll look at that.

yeah scrolling sidewards does suck at the best of times

I've reduced the width to 1000px

validated it with Dreamweaver 8

toned down the header and footer color so it's not as bright

simpilified and normalized the main text out

I'll leave the left alignment for now although i agree doesn't look great until i get the .swf done, want to try different formats

www.nojargoncomputers.com.au (ctrl-R) if still looks very bright

• 3 weeks later...