Images Per Webpage

celto d

Hi

I am currently creating a website for an artist friend of mine.

He has given me over 200 images to use. With about 10 catergories. So i am thinking 10 pages with about 20 images on each.

As i am fairly new to Web Design i was just wondering what is the maximum amount of data i should have on each page.(apologies if this is obvious)

Ideally i would like to have some fairly high res jpegs with the corresponding thumbnails at no more than 5k. Also there will be a few bg images at no more than 30k in size.

How high in quality can i make the main images? Without being concerned with slow page loading.

The target audience will be people from Europe and the US.

Thx

You can use this to analyze a web page (after you have nearly finished it):-

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

However, it seems to be an old analyzer and gives comments which seem more directed at old dial-up when saying that the KB for images or some other part of a page are too high. I would say 150KB for a homepage but 400KB for other pages because if someone wants to move from a home page to a page with images they will probably expect a slower download.It's useful, though.

I would use disjointed rollovers with the img pre loading. I found that this method loads fairly quickly. This is also easy to learn there are not that many steps. For a example of this method check out roxanesmarine.com, You can also make a larger img appear when you roll over instead of the way that I did the layout if you had more imgs on your page.You may use php for a photo layout which works well also. But personally if you are using DW I would use the disjointed method. As far as the max amount of data for your page, for a photo layout I would make one page and up load it to my server and test it, then go from there. But remember people are going to expect photos to up load a little slower as long as it does not take to long. That is where the pre load helps.