A way to prevent overflowing image from triggering scrollbars

Rob in hood

I actually want the image to overflow the div. I want the overflow to get cut off by the browser window, instead of making scrollbars to show the rest of the image.

The reason for this approach is so that the browser cuts off equally from both sides of the border for smaller screen resolutions. If I used fixed width border divs, then for small screen resolutions the border divs will make the browser have horizontal scrollbars.

The alternate I know to this way is to make a big background image with both border pictures, and a big blank area in the middle, and set that image as the background image. But this makes the image unnecessarily large, just for the big blank area in the middle, seperating the border images.

Position:fixed did stop it from making scrollbars, but I want the image to scroll, not be fixed :)

Edited by Rob in hood

I realised I should maybe post the CSS code.

@charset "UTF-8";
/* CSS Document */
body {
 background: #1b1b1b url(images/bodytile.png) center repeat-y;
 margin: 0px;
 padding: 0px;
}
#container {
 width: 1010px;
 margin: 0 auto;
}
#header {
 background: #1b1b1b url(images/headertile.png) top repeat-x;
 height: 167px;
}
#leftcol {
 background: #1b1b1b url(images/bgleft.png) top right no-repeat;
 float: left;
 width: 5px;
 height: 500px;
}
#rightcol {
 background: #1b1b1b url(images/bgright.png) top left no-repeat;
 float: right;
 width: 5px;
 height: 500px;
}
#content {
 background: #e9e9e9;
 float: left;
 width: 1000px;
 height: 1200px;
}
#footer {
 background: #1b1b1b url(images/footer.png) bottom center no-repeat;
 clear: both;
 height: 97px;
}

Your welcome. Double check that Opera isn't defaulting to just body overflow hidden (without the X). As that would hide any vertical scroll. Actually, in order to fix that little issue, say overflow-x hidden and overflow-y auto in that order. As long as Opera is still happy, that's probably going to be the easiest fix. There is also some opera only js you can track down. But that's not a clean fix.

No scrollbar and doing what you want is not a very easy task. There was a quiz not to long ago here... http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618512 on this very same problem. (AKA quiz #1 in that link). Navigate to page #2 and you'll see a couple alternative fixes. As you will tell, it's a little more involved.

Edited by Eric