Questions about this subject come up all the time on Killersites.com; so I decided to create series of podcast that covers the details about becoming an independent freelance web designer.
You can keep up to date with the new episodes at the killersites.com magazine - just subscribe to the Business of Web Design RSS feed.
You can also join the discussion on the business of web design forum.
Much more to come.
Web Design Business Roadmap
A guide to starting your own web design business from scratch.
- Learn web design (HTML, CSS with basic image editing, domain registration and hosting)
- Use web templates and other resources (scripts (PHP top 5) to enhance your skills.
- Develop your web site for your business.
- Do a few free small web design jobs to:
- develop your skills in terms of working with clients.
- develop your project management chops.
- develop your portfolio.
- Put together your business documents:
- business card
- Quote sheet/contract
- Company logo
- Start hunting for clients:
- talk to friends of friends
- pass out cards
- ask local church, garage, flower shop, antique shop, local gym
- online contract bidding
- Continued (on the side) learning
- Learn a little PHP
- Learn a blog like Wordpress
- Learn a CMS like Drupal, CMS Made Simple or Joomla
Podcasts on the Business of Web Design
Running time: 13:00
Branding Your Business
Running time: 5:16
Running time: 9:36
Hardware and Software
Running time: 8:47
Running time: 15:30
Portfolio Site and Your First Clients
Running time: 7:52
The Initial Proposal
Running time: 9:05
Money Needed to Start
What are Organic Websites?
Running time: 4:49
The Web Design Contract
Running time: 6:46
Running time: 24:08
Get Started Today!
Buy ALL the podcasts today for only $19.99