Very Weird Problems In Ie8

Ant

When I view my site in IE8 some very strange things happen.

When you load the homepage the first images get repeated, distorted and get like a jitter/smear effect on them when you attempt to scroll. Then you cant see any other parts of the site as the image just repeats and then you cant see anything else if you try and scroll back up.Here's my attempt at replicating whats happening(see image)testimage.jpg

Also sometimes it cant even load and it goes white.

Because I have a mac I have to use friends machines to see how the site looks on IE. (I still have not found a solution to previewing sites on IE on a mac, which is a pain) My brief viewing of the site on IE9 seemed ok with only a few problems.

So far firefox and safari are ok. Although I am having trouble with safari's zoom option. When you zoom out 3 times (option -) on the keyboard the navigation div(which is floated left) of the online store kicks over to the right about 20px and then kicks the content underneath. Not sure how to fix that.

I still have to pass the site through the validator, but so far most errors are table errors that should be moved to css.

I also need to clean up some other things, css etc.

Thanks,

A.

Edited by Ant

Thanks Eddie.

I checked the site on 2 different PC's running IE8.

Both created the weird effects I explained. I tested it in IE9 and it was fine. I also tested it in IE9 using the developer tools and chose IE8 and it was fine. BUT I don't think thats the same as viewing it on a regular IE8 version NOT using the developer tools.

But I am not sure.

I guess I will have to keep looking into this. I'll see if I can find some other PC's running straight IE8 and see what I can find out.

I also tested the site using one of those screen shot online services and it showed the weird effects in IE8 as a screenshot.

A.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently, the site is now loading ( according to browser labs) in IE8 but it is not loading the css.

I turned off a plugin that was giving me the blank screen and repeating images. I assume it was the plugin.

How can I troubleshoot this?

I have read a bunch of stuff in searches but nothing concrete or that makes sense. I tried methodically deleting code in the header etc but couldn't find the source of the problem.

When i try and validate the page I get errors associated with table styling wanting to be set in css and most of the other stuff is coding which is part of a plugin or the theme. BUT this is a wordpress theme and the theme itself has the same errors and is validated. Also the theme itself runs fine in IE7, 8 etc.

Thanks,

A.

Edited by Ant

ok. I may have figured out the problem.

Although, I can only go by what Browser Labs shows me.

I had a blank css ID and a plugin that was causing the site to break in IE.

Additionally the site will not load the top right PNG file.

I cant make it a jpg as I need it transparent.

Is there anything in that css that IE8 does not like?

Thanks,

A.

Edited by Ant

• 2 weeks later...