Error with firefox

Belfastlad

Hi newbie to the site sorry if this has been posted before....

Im using Frontpage at the moment. heres the problem...When i view the site in IE The site works fine but when it is Viewed in Mozilla Firefox The writing and pictures on the website run over the Bottom of the Template, My friend tells me it is Firefox not picking up some coding or something. Could anybody help me out please, Any help at all is appreciated.

The Site is www.crjtilingcontractors.com if you dont know what i mean, Only happens in Firefox.

I looked at the Services page where Firefox overlapped the footer.

Your div class="column" has a height which isn't enough for Firefox. If you delete the height (I did it by mis-typing height) the div should find its own height:-

id="main_content_no_left" style="hhhheight: 495px; width: 659px">

You should have a doctype at the top of your html file, before the tag:-

/p>

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

from here:-

http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html

You also have several ids and classes with no styles in the stylesheet, like:-

page_wrapper main_content_wrapper wrap and column although you have an inline style in the html file for class="column" and if possible you should put styles in the stylesheet if they apply to more than one page.

Edit: I've just looked at the Portfolio page where IE7 has enough height but Firefox doesn't and again the class="column" has a height of 312px which is not nearly enough for all the images, so delete the height, but I haven't tested this page.

Edited by Wickham

My friend tells me it is Firefox not picking up some coding or something.
That's actually not correct. Firefox is a standard-compliant browser which will show you what you wrote - so if there are errors in the code, things won't show up right. IE, however, is not so much standard compliant, and will show you what it thinks you meant, thus allow you to get away with coding errors. But, as the newer versions of IE (7 and 8) are getting more compliant, you may find that badly coded pages that looked just fine in IE6, suddenly don't work so well in newer IE versions, either.

If you are not skilled in HTML and CSS then you might want to move away from FrontPage because it's not going to give you the desired results across all browsers. FP is outdated and generally produces many deprecated codes. Also, it will inline CSS styles which you really don't want to happen because it will be difficult to update especially if you have mulitple pages.

If you are not skilled in HTML and CSS then you might want to move away from FrontPage because it's not going to give you the desired results across all browsers. FP is outdated and generally produces many deprecated codes. Also, it will inline CSS styles which you really don't want to happen because it will be difficult to update especially if you have mulitple pages.

Thanks, what would be your advice? Using Dreamweaver ? or going all out and learning from notepad or something?

Sorry for all the questions dont want to sound like a "help vampire" haha, As i say im only starting out and i found Frontpage easy to use, Although in the long run i take it that its the wrong route to take.

You can upgrade to MS Expression Web 2 which is a huge improvement over FrontPage but some of the standard layout and features will be similar to what you were using before. Here again, although Expression will produce standard code, it will really help to understand the basic fundementals of HTML and CSS. Creating web site pages using the WYSIWYG pane is not ideal and it does not guarantee the same visual results for all browsers.

Check out Killersites tutorials on HTML and CSS. This will help you get a better understanding how some of the basic code works.

Note: You can get Expressions Web 2 at the upgrade price regardless how old your FrontPage is.

All you really need is a good text editor with colour coding and to learn how to code in HTML and CSS. There are excellent tutorials on this site to help you on your way. I suggest you buy a couple of books on the subject, once you have a basic understanding I suggest you download ready made HTML/CSS templates and mess around with them.

HTML is not hard to learn, CSS is a little more complicated to grasp but not impossible.