updating with dreamweaver

larissahn

hello, I recently got a new job. I have to update a website, I have done so in the past. the problem is that I am familiar with HTML and this website was built using PHP. the corrections are small, mostly text, but I am not sure how updating a PHP web page works. can somebody help me, please?

Edited by larissahn

You'll do the same thing that you would with a HTML file -- download the file, open them up in Dreamweaver, make the changes, and then reupload. Think of PHP pages as basically HTML pages, but with additional functionality. (Obviously, it depends on how they were coded, but in most cases, that is the way things work.)

However, if you want to preview the files before you upload, you will need to install a server on your machine (check the PHP forum's stickies) such as WAMP (for PC's) or MAMP (for Mac's).

ok, i already have WampServer 2 running on my pc. i saved a page from dreamweaver in the www directory, but when i choose localhost, it doesn't give me the list of projects. basically my question is: after making the changes using dreamweaver (before uploading anything to the server), how can i preview how the page looks using WampServer 2? thanx again.

If you saved the php file to the www folder, it should be there!

You can check by opening Windows Explorer and looking at local disk C:\\wamp\www and see what files are there, but you can't open them from there.

Open WampServer2 and left-click the system tray icon and click Localhost to open your default browser.

You can then enter http://localhost/filename.php or

http://localhost/foldername/filename.php if you created a folder inside www.

Wampserver gave you the option of naming its root as localhost or something else, but I can't remember what the alternative was. Whatever it was, you should see it as the alternative to localhost when left-clicking the system tray icon.

so it's probably a good idea to download the www folder from the server using BitKinex and copying it to the www directory of the wamp. that way i can preview the pages from now on without any problems.

Correct. If you do have a database connected to the live site, you may need to set that up on your local machine as well.