Joomla? Drupal? Wordpress?

natcheney

What content managements systems would you recommend for someone new to professional web design but with a background in html? I've only used Joomla!, and I love how friendly it is, but I've heard great things about both Wordpress and Drupal. Cost aside, which has more advantages for a small business or personal page?

Wordpress has the HUGE community and ecosystem behind it. That above all, is it's greatest asset. You want templates/themes, plug-ins, unlimited.

Wordpress itself is easy to set up and use. I actually think it is a fundamental skill of web design: I believe all web designers should learn at least a little Wordpress - it's that popular among small business owners. I wrote about this in 2010:

http://www.killersites.com/blog/2010/the-wordpress-web-design-strategy/

Stefan

I failed to mention Drupal and Joomla ... they are cool too, but I would lean towards Wordpress for all but really big projects and in those cases, Joomla and Drupal might be worth considering. Not to say you can't build a big site with Wordpress, you can. And you can build small sites with Joomla and Drupal ... it is just that WP is easier to config.

Stefan

The Joomla Web CMS is considered to be a popular choice for many types of websites, including corporate sites, news or blogs, government applications, small business sites and sites where secure logins are required. The ecosystem of Joomla developers and users provide products and services to the Joomla community which has more than one-half million members and more than 20,000 developers.

• 3 weeks later...

Over the summer I built my local city governments web site using Joomla (crossvilletn.gov). It was a very unique learning experience - one that I'll probably never do again (at least not unless I'm being paid a lot of money).

The functionality of their package is unprecedented but the documentation is horrible - and while I understand they have a great community, nothing beats having a well-documented code base. I cannot always wait 2-3 days for an answer to come back and engage in a 5-10 day discussion over an issue I'm having.

Learning their MVC framework was like picking at my eye ball with a pitch fork. I managed to build some functional extensions for it, but only after weeks of experimentation and frustration.

If I get another project my way that requires such an extensive CMS I'm going to look at some of the other packages. For the most part though, I've been able to build sites with my own CMS (which I'm going to rebuild since I'm learning OOP with the help of the guys here).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest annahussy

As per my point of view, this three CMS are good to use for creating website. But i suggest you to use Wordpress CMS it one the best and secure platform for creating website and blogsite. It is one of the best content management system which good to manage web content.

• 4 weeks later...

WordPress is best for design websites

Greater Accessibility

Consistency

Ease of Membership Site Rollout

ocial Networking Friendly

Ultimate in SEO Friendliness

Growth potential

Improved Security

• 1 month later...

WordPress is best Content Management Systems. it has number of features.

Simplicity

Flexibility

Publish with Ease

Publishing Tools

User Management

Media Management

Full Standards Compliance

Easy Theme System

Extend with Plugins

Built-in Comments

Search Engine Optimized

Multilingual