Whole CMS + database onto new server

sarah

How difficult is it to put a CMS and its database onto a new server? So far I could not find out how to get the database ore copied or uploaded to the new server and I don't know if I can just remove the ready installed CMS from one place and throw it on another... looks I got myself into a lot of work and trouble by starting things on my free webspace and planning just to transfer it to the new server later...:(

It depends how much database access you have. In most cases, I would use PHPMyAdmin to access the database (this is a feature that most web hosts offer, though I am not sure in your case, since you are with a free host) and you can use the "Export" tab to export the database into a .txt file format. When you have your new hosting set up, you would create a new database with that hosting, access the database via PHPMyAdmin, and import the text file, and the database will be recreated.

What can be more tricky is that sometimes settings differ from server to server, so you will need to probably edit the content management system's config files and update the database connection and other settings.

What CMS are you trying to transfer?

The CMS I am using is CMS MadeSimple - it is in fact really simple and very nice to use.

Now the funny thing is that my free account has PHPMyAdmin, but the new one has not (I am already considering giving it up and leaving it as it is on the free one, but I was convinced that free stuff cannot be good)(in fact the free one is the best of my three accounts so far)

Is there any other way to get the data from one database to the other?

It looks I will have to copy/paste my way through all the work I have already done. Great lesson in patience...:rolleyes:

Oh, after clicking around a lot on my panel I found that actually I have phpMyAdmin! Well, so now I will try what to do.

Should I make a fresh install and link my already existing database to it or is it better to copy the already configured CMS ?

Everybody is different. If you have added one or more modules to your default CMS software you might do it this way:

1. Create a database via phpMyAdmin.

2. Import the existing database tables from you old site.

3. Upload the existing CMS files to your new host.

4. Make the necessary changes to the config.php files to reflect your database name, database username, database password as well as the file paths.

5. Your done.

Some are not comforable in doing it that way. If you did not add any module extensions to the default CMS, then you can just do the install method. Here's how I would do it.

1. Create a database via phpMyAdmin.

2. Import the existing database tables from you old site.

3. Upload a clean copy of the CMS files (use the latest version) to your new host.

4. Run the install

5. During the install process, when you get to the page where it says to create Sample Data, uncheck it. You don't want to overwrite your existing imported database tables.

If you have any problems, let me know and I will be more than happy to get it done for you.

Edited by newseed

Thank you so much!

I will give a try to the fresh install, I think. I had found the config.php and looked at it yesterday and I prefer not to mess around with it...

I am quite confident not to get too much of an headache now...