menu in IE6

lesley

IE6 was not a good browser from the start. Microsoft although a member of the W3C never much followed W3C standards, they did there own thing. Hence sites using standards tend not to work in IE like they do every other browser.

Aside from that, each development team has their own opinions about what exactly the standards mean... so you have differences between standard compliant browsers like Firefox and Opera. IE still does not support XHTML even in version 8 and IE still shows the alt attribute as a tool tip even though no other browser does.

So assuming your web site works in Firefox and Co.,you will need to use IE Conditional Comments in order to feed IE6 different styles than the other browsers. IE for instance adds a margin the others do not, so that has to be adjusted for.

All that said, browsers are simply different as they are built by different people. They will never be 100% exactly the same nor in my opinion should they be. If the site works and is usable, that is all you really need, who really cares if a margin is wider? If it still looks good and is usable, let it be. You have to decided if it is broken enough to mess with.

Hello, thanks for that explanation. My site works in Firefox/Opera/Safari/IE7. I have added some conditional comments to fix the layout. However from my research and attempts to make the menu work (the subitems of the menus dont show) it seems that i will have to use javascript. I have no idea how to do that. Is there some already scripted that i can use?

*By the way, i know my code is not yet perfect, i have some errors when trying to validate - i am working on these, but i dont think any of these are affecting the menu. Thanks for the help.