css problems concerning the following code

Ant

I have the following code that I cannot get to react to my css:

<div>random text</div>

<div class="line_specs"><a style="cursor: pointer;" title="tool tip" onclick="window.open('http://www.mydomain/specs.com', 'StatusBar', 'toolbar=no,resizable=no,scrollbars=yes,width=750,height=500,left=100,top=100');">

<em><strong>Line Specifications</strong></em></a></div>

No matter what I do I cannot reduce the amount of space above the word "Line Specifications".It's like there is an extra space above it.

I tried using css and effecting the "a" tag to reduce the space like so:

.line_specs a{

margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;

}

I tried adding a p tag to the word "line specifications" but that didn't work either.

.line_specs p{

margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;

}

If I take the code and remove all the onclick info etc and just test my css with say a simple p tag the css margin works fine.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

A.

When I test the exact code you have provided in a new HTML file, I'm not getting any space between the two elements, so there must be something else going on. Could you post a link to the site (ideally) or a zip of the files (html, css, images) so we can see it in action?

Have you checked using standard CSS debugging tools -- Firebug for Firefox, the Chrome Console in Chrome, or IE's developer tools? Any of those should be able to tell you what is causing the spacing.