Support on Hosting

tellimega

greetings to every1. Please i have a website runing on the web but i want to change my host company. The reason is dat i am not certisfy with d present host company becos the site is not always up online. I want to know if it is possible for me to do dat and what i need to do to make it possible to transfer my site to another host company. Please explain in plain terms as i am completely a newbie to web related issues. My following questions are: What are the step by step of transfering already hosted website to anoda host? how do i choose a good host? what do i need from my present host company to make the transfer possible? please if there are any other thing needed to be done please add to it so as to get me get it easy as a newbie. i appreciate your efforts...my user name is Tellimega

I thought I had already answered those questions in our PM. We can't really give you step by step answers, as we don't know who your host and/or registrar are/will be.

Do you have a copy of your site on your local drive? If not, download one - you should ALWAYS have a copy of your site as a backup somewhere.

Then you just get a new hosting account (I use iPage and have been happy with them - many people here also recommend host gator, but there are plenty others. Godaddy is not a good choice, especially if you are using Wordpress).

Once you have the new hosting account, you need to change the Nameserver your domain points to. The new host will give you the info for that, and you enter that wherever your domain is registered with.

Then you upload your site to the new host.

To up or download websites, you need an FTP (File Transport Protocol) program. An easy one is the FireFox extension FireFTP. Get that, set up the connection with the info your webmaster gave you, and download a copy.

The nameserver thing is this:

Your URL has to know where to go - kind of like a phone number has to know which phone to make ring - Hosting accounts have 'an address' - called Nameservers, and you have to let your URL know which one to point to. The new host will let you know what their NS is, and you log it where your domain is registered with and update the NS info there. I can't tell you how to do this step by step as it's different for each registrar.

Btw - Killersites also offers hosting: http://www.securepaynet.net/hosting/web-hosting2.aspx?ci=1782&prog_id=kajukenbokid1