Getting a mp4 to run

DSchnder

I have Dreamweaver CS5 and relatively new to the program. I used a template form the site and have set up simple information, photos, and navigations. I also have been able to embed some YouTube videos, but I want to add my own video's for the athletes and parents. So I followed your video on putting a video into Dreamweaver.

I had a wmv file and converted it to a mp4 and inserted it per the video, it plays in the preview, but when I opened it on the website itself I get the symblom for Quicktime and a queston mark and it won't play. I do get a prompt asking do I want Quicktime to play, or always from this site.

I can't figure out what I did wrong and why it won't play. I am running on a windows system. I don't know if I need to change the format of the video or not.

If you would like to look at the web site it is penfieldathleticclub.org

I hope you can help

Schnder

You have several issues here:

The website links to a stylesheet ON YOUR COMPUTER --- it has to be uploaded and the path adjusted.

<link rel="[url=""]stylesheet[/url]" href="[url=""]file:///C|/Program%20Files/Macromedia/Dreamweaver%208/Configuration/BuiltIn/StarterPages/mm_spa.css[/url]" type="[url=""]text/css[/url]" />

The video is not working, because it's not uploaded (or it is, but the path is wrong). According to your code, it should be here: http://penfieldathle...20XC%202011.mp4 - but it's not.

BTW, it's bad practice to put spaces in file names. Depending on browser, that could be an issue. Use dashes, camelcase, or underscores instead.

Also, code-wise, your site isn't so great. Tables shouldn't be used for layout, internal styling should be reserved for special situations.

And, you have all kinds of links to spacer images (nobody does spacer images any more - that's so 1990), but they are all located on your harddrive, so they are not accessible online.

Look for anything that starts out like this:

file:///C|/Program%20Files/

All that stuff needs to be uploaded and the paths have to be updated.