New to web design AND computers...! Oh no...!

BettyBlue

I appreciate this might sound a bit silly, but I am not only new to web design but also to the way that the internet and computers work (I am quite intelligent, don't worry!). This is mainly because I've never taken an interest in them before. However, I recently decided that a community of local artists I currently work with might benefit from a website with forums and profiles for their work and photographs etc... Is this too ambitious for a beginner? I'm still trying to get my head around the concept of web hosting and who to use! I am very determined though, I want to be a nerd! Any advice would be welcome,

Betty x

In addition to Thelma's suggestion, you might want to google something like "social networking software".

It is an ambitious goal for a beginner, but if you are committed, I'm sure you'll learn lots! Maybe you'll want to start off with a website and then add a forum? And then down the road add more of the social networking components?

Either way you choose to tackle it, let us know if you have questions! :)

A Quick start would be Content Management System (CMS) like Drupal or CMS Made Simple. These hold the ability to manage a web site with users active in it. For instance... each artist can join, create a profile for themselves. They can all post articles, content etc. either straight in or with admin approval. You can promote certain users to asst. admin positions to help run the site. Most come with RSS Feeds so anyone wishing to can subscribe and see new content. You can add a forum like this one (PunBB) and there are lots of plugins you can add for say galleries etc. You can start with a third party template for the design and replace it later when you have learned more. You and the registered users can use it from any computer or cell phone with internet access and need no special tools so you can admin it while traveling.

CMS (Content Management System) : Accessibility

That's really helpful - thanks guys? Just a couple of quick questions, are free hosts any good? Are there any you recommend? Oh, also, if I spend a few hours a day on this, how long do you think it'll take? Just roughly, I'm sure it depends a bit on how quick I pick things up. Oops, that's three! x

Er, in general, free hosts aren't very good. You can find some low cost ($5 a month or lower) that should allow you to do what you want though. I usually recommend HostGator, but there are a lot of hosts out there.

How long will it take? Shouldn't take that long to pick up the basics... just depends how much time you put into it and how quickly you understand things.

Guest designDave
I usually recommend HostGator, ...

I'm going to second that one. A good inexpensive hosting company if you've got basic requirements.

Dave

Free hosts usually tack on tacky advertising that can ruin a site, best always to pay.

Everytime I see this threads title I start singing the theme song to the "Mercenaries 2" video game commercials...

"Oh no, Oh no, Oh no

Yo Yo Yo

Oh no you didn't

Sucker tried to play me

But you never paid me, Neva

Oh no you didn't

Payback is a' coming

You will be runnin', foreva

Oh no you didn't

Until i get me vengeance

I will never end this mayhem

Oh no you didn't