CSS for web developers

searchformeaning

Hi,

I'm new to web development. I learned HTML (simple language) and I am working on CSS. Some say that CSS won't take more than a week to learn. What I found is that CSS has a lot of topics (text styling, margins, padding, borders, image styling, positioning, layout,...etc) so the question is "Is it necessary to be good at CSS as a developer or I just need to know the basics and then go to Javascript and PHP?"

I think that CSS should take more than a week to learn. I think you should be able to pick up the basics and the overall concepts in a week, but an actual understanding of layouts and positioning and CSS browser compatibility issues will take longer than that.

I don't necessarily think that you have to be an expert at it, but I do think you should have a pretty good understanding. The development you do will have to eventually be shown in the browser, and the browser will require HTML/CSS to display it properly.

How skilled you need to be depends in part what your eventual goal is. If you plan to purely be a backend developer (PHP, Ruby/Ruby on Rails/databases/etc.) you may not need it as much, but then you will be limited by the fact that you will really only be a good fit for jobs where you have others doing the frontend development (HTML/CSS). If you plan to freelance, you'll probably have situations where either you'll need to do the frontend development as well or where you will have to hire another freelancer to do the frontend stuff, which will force you to charge higher rates or earn less money per project.

I think that CSS should take more than a week to learn. I think you should be able to pick up the basics and the overall concepts in a week, but an actual understanding of layouts and positioning and CSS browser compatibility issues will take longer than that.

I don't necessarily think that you have to be an expert at it, but I do think you should have a pretty good understanding. The development you do will have to eventually be shown in the browser, and the browser will require HTML/CSS to display it properly.

How skilled you need to be depends in part what your eventual goal is. If you plan to purely be a backend developer (PHP, Ruby/Ruby on Rails/databases/etc.) you may not need it as much, but then you will be limited by the fact that you will really only be a good fit for jobs where you have others doing the frontend development (HTML/CSS). If you plan to freelance, you'll probably have situations where either you'll need to do the frontend development as well or where you will have to hire another freelancer to do the frontend stuff, which will force you to charge higher rates or earn less money per project.

No jobs at my area at the moment. Actually, many lost their jobs :bash: . So I want to be a freelance. I am kind of opening a new opportunity myself. I know it's not easy as there are lot of freelancers out there and they have great experience but I am trying to do my best and use the available resource, I have, which is TIME. I don't actually know if I'll succeed or not after a lot of reading and trying code.

In that case, I'd definitely encourage you to make sure you have a strong understanding. All the development you do will involve HTML and CSS to some extent, and it's really a foundational language on the web. If you are going to be a freelancer, especially if you will be dealing with price-conscious clients, lacking understanding in this area will cause you problems in the future. If you have to hire someone else to do CSS work, you'll probably have to raise your prices in order to cover their cost, and it might discourage potential clients if your quote is higher than necessary. CSS isn't that hard -- it just requires time and practice.

• 1 month later...

CSS will surely take more than a week time to learn, but the thing is you should be perfect in all concepts of CSS to enter into PHP development. Then only you can come to know about PHP.

I totally disagree - CSS is essential for the layout of websites, and directly connected to HTML, but has nothing to do with programming.

• Upvote 2

Hi,

I'm new to web development. I learned HTML (simple language) and I am working on CSS. Some say that CSS won't take more than a week to learn. What I found is that CSS has a lot of topics (text styling, margins, padding, borders, image styling, positioning, layout,...etc) so the question is "Is it necessary to be good at CSS as a developer or I just need to know the basics and then go to Javascript and PHP?"

One of the best things you can do to improve your knowledge is use the 'firebug' add-on for the Firefox browser. Using firebug allows you to hover over any element, on any web page, make "psuedo-changes" and actually see how the page would be affected in real time.

IE and Chrome also both have a firebug addon, but Firefox does it far better than the other browsers.

I would strongly recommend firebug to anyone starting out with css.

Good luck!

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

As per recent trend, you must learn css. It makes your work easy if you want to use the same style sheet in multiple pages. You just design css page and call it in many pages.

If you read any books and try codes manually, then I would like to suggest you w3schools.com. It has the great resource. It gives you online editor to try given codes or you can modify the codes and get the results also.

After some practice, you wont have fear of css and you will enjoy your work.. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Hello

Yes, I think so you have knowledge about CSS. However I mention some points to must Have Skills for Web Designers and Web Developers like HTML,MySQL Database,Web Server Administration, Design Sense and CSS. CSS is the most important language Web designers can learn.It is what powers the designs and determines how a page will look.If you don't know CSS you won't be able to design cutting edge websites.