Apche instalation problem

gffects

Hi, Just started learning about php MySQL and apche with a new book.

I followed all the steps as I read them for installing a local apache server, but every time I try it I get this

error and the server does not work.

wtf.jpg

Until I fix this I won't be able to continue reading on.

Like I said very new to this stuff.

Hope you can help me out.

As far as I understand it, Apache uses to port 80 by default. If you have another program that uses that port -- for example, Skype or IIS (there may be others, but those two I definitely know about) -- you'll need to change the port that Apache uses. I would try following the instructions here http://orangeslate.com/2007/02/28/steps-to-change-the-default-port-number-for-apache-http-server/ or try searching for others ("change apache port") if that one doesn't work.

Not sure what the problem was but I decided to do a reinstall, with a new directory instead of the default and now it works.

Next step trying to install php into it lol the joys.

Thanks though once this is up and running I'll take notes on how to do it again :)

FWIW. for other viewers of this topic, I use WampServer and Skype on the same computer with no problem and I didn't need to change port 80.

It may not affect everyone, or it's possible that this only happens with older versions of WAMP or Skype. I've just read online that it is occasionally an issue. Personally, I've never had a problem running MAMP and Skype on my Mac, but that may be in part because MAMP runs on a different port (8888).