changing colour of browser side bar

mckayajmc

I'm not sure where to post this question as I have never done this before. Most of the time I look for the answer myself but this time I have drown a blank

I am trying to find a way of changing to colour browser side bar to match the colours I’m using in my site. But have not been able to find the answer. I know there must be a way of doing it as my wife was on a wedding site that had done this. Can any one point me in the right direction please? Thank you

Can you specify what you mean by the "browser side bar"? Do you mean the scroll bar?

If so, it is only possible to change the colors on the native scroll bar within Internet Explorer (which is used by about 20% of users). It is also possible to "fake" a scroll bar using Javascript, or have a custom scroll bar in a Flash based site... but I would discourage both of those options. I don't think a Javascript based scrollbar is a good idea (at least, not to completely replace the standard browser scrollbar), since there's too much of a chance that something will go wrong and a user won't be able to scroll your site at all. Flash is generally falling out of style, in part because iPhone/iPod/iPad and most modern tablets don't support Flash, and I generally discourage Flash due to issues with accessability, SEO and the fact that it is more difficult to update.

In short... I'd avoid changing the default scrollbar colors. It's difficult from a technical standpoint, and I personally would prefer that my sites/the sites I visit don't start changing standard browser elements/functionality without my permission.

Can you specify what you mean by the "browser side bar"? Do you mean the scroll bar?

If so, it is only possible to change the colors on the native scroll bar within Internet Explorer (which is used by about 20% of users). It is also possible to "fake" a scroll bar using Javascript, or have a custom scroll bar in a Flash based site... but I would discourage both of those options. I don't think a Javascript based scrollbar is a good idea (at least, not to completely replace the standard browser scrollbar), since there's too much of a chance that something will go wrong and a user won't be able to scroll your site at all. Flash is generally falling out of style, in part because iPhone/iPod/iPad and most modern tablets don't support Flash, and I generally discourage Flash due to issues with accessability, SEO and the fact that it is more difficult to update.

In short... I'd avoid changing the default scrollbar colors. It's difficult from a technical standpoint, and I personally would prefer that my sites/the sites I visit don't start changing standard browser elements/functionality without my permission.

thank you for your input and i did mean scroll bar i have taken on board what you have said and desided not to go ahead with the change.