Social Plugin Bar

dms

Is there a good resource to where I could just copy/paste some code into a webpage that would have several links to the main social networks that's up to date that I might understand - JS isn't my cup of tea.

I have some code a customer sent me that they found and ask me to include it into their site. I have no idea if it's up to date. The code comes from addthis-dot-com and it seems to work, but I have no idea on how to style it and it may be outdated as far as I know. Can someone please explain to me the best practices when adding links to social networks.

Thanks

<!-- ****** AddThis Button BEGIN ***** -->
<div class="addthis_toolbox addthis_default_style addthis_32x32_style">
<a class="addthis_button_preferred_1"></a><br />
<a class="addthis_button_preferred_2"></a><br />
<a class="addthis_button_preferred_3"></a><br />
<a class="addthis_button_preferred_4"></a><br />
<a class="addthis_button_compact"></a><br />
<a class="addthis_counter addthis_bubble_style"></a><br />
</div>
<script type="text/javascript">var addthis_config =
{"data_track_addressbar":true};</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="
http://s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js#pubid=ra-4fb7fcc0047d61bd
"></script>
<!-- AddThis Button END -->

<!-- ******* AddThis Follow BEGIN ***** -->
<p>Follow Us</p>
<div class="addthis_toolbox addthis_32x32_style addthis_default_style">
<a class="addthis_button_facebook_follow" addthis:userid="EEstates"></a>
<a class="addthis_button_twitter_follow" addthis:userid="EEstates"></a>
<a class="addthis_button_linkedin_follow" addthis:userid="lisamanzi"></a>
<a class="addthis_button_google_follow"
addthis:userid="/u/0/105440859768423451795/about"></a>
<a class="addthis_button_pinterest_follow" addthis:userid="eestates/"></a>
</div>

As far as I understand this, usually you don't style these sort of social network plugins -- they handle that for you. If you want to check whether it is using the most recent version of the code, you'd need to check their website.

I don't believe there are really any "best practices" for this sort of thing. You just implement whatever code the service you are using provides.

After further review, I realize that I needed to upload the code to a live server before the button from the posted code came to life. I was just viewing the page on my computer within FF. addthis seems to be a pretty nice "sharing platform". I just need to figure out how to float the divs and then I'm good to go.

Ben, thanks for your reply.

Edited by dms

Long I was wondering how to implement / copy the social cell, mashable.com. Everything seemed fine, until I looked at the page source output. It is one thing that I always do before adding the plugin and I would suggest to anyone that this is a habit to look for the output plug-ins before you add it to your live site.

As per my view, Addthis is really effective code provider for social plug-in on the website. There are lots of websites include this code stream because of its easy access and great Java script system. This social media plug-in also requires less space and few loading time period. These all reasons seem that you have to be continuing with this service provider.

Edited by brainusa