Portfolio Site JS based - opinions

nowinowski

My name is Nathan. I'm a designer living and working in Denver, Co. I just put up a new site at

now inowskidesign.com [remove spaces]

and I would like any feedback. Also the site should be working in all modern browsers so if it is not working correctly in a given browser please let me know.

Thanks,

Nathan

It seems that you didnt read the sticky post in this thread so I just post a small review.

In general website looks fine, with very easy access to all needed information.

Some points to consider.

Validate your code and see if you can fix all errors.

May be it would be more effective in many aspects if you give

tag more meaning than just

hello

contact

and so on.

Edited by lm

Sorry about broaching the forum rules. I really appreciate you taking the time to go through and let me know all the things I've screwed up. Just a few Questions

What would be the correct XHTML Doctype?

Is the scrollbar the result of an incorrect width setting or the actual width of the background images, and if so can I just kill the horizontal scrollbar, since the actual content is only 800pix wide?

I'll go about validating. I must have an error in every line :(

thanks again,

Nathan

got everything validated to strict XHTML. And I learned some stuff. The one thing I ran into was that I was using border=0 in the markup which is i guess a deprecated way of doing it but i had a heck of a time getting ie6&7 to not put in default blue borders on through the css. I got it to work but it seemed like sort of a patch job.

thanks again,

Nate

IMHO I would prefer to see navigation to your various pages rather than having to scroll down to find what I'm looking for. Also from an SEO point of view, your use of h1 tags will not give you optimal results using Hello, contact and my work.

While I like your designs I don't think you are doing yourself justice in the way you are displaying them on your website.

i agree with Virtual above... I think that the portfolio may actually take away from your work, not add to it. The large collages seem unnecessary and a bit distracting -- shouldn't the focus be on your work itself? I would suggest removing them and simplifying the page so that the work is the focus. Keep the design clean, simple, and to the point.

Keep the design clean, simple, and to the point.

I agree in general but portfolio should reflect fist of all abilities of the person and individuality. Design of this particular portfolio website is original, people will remember it. Other question is - the look is not to everybody's taste.

More important here was to fix all coding errors and give the code more semantic meaning if the person suggest himself as a web designer.

Edited by lm