Why o Why

Hello to all...

I purchased the website building series and was doing as suggested (typing out the html from a page he created), however when I try to view it in my browser it only appears as html. Why would this be?

This is what I have typed so far:

<! DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 TRANSITIONAL//EN">

<html>

<head>

<title>web design - tutorials: Home</title>

<META NAME="description" content="Learn webdesign.">

<META NAME="keywords" content="web design, web designers, creating a website">

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<link href ="ROOT.CSS" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

</head>

</html>

I don't know if my expectations are off, but I was at least expecting to see the title at the top of the browser when I attempted to open it. I was expecting to see the title say web design - tutorials: Home,

instead it said practice, which is what I saved the file as. I'm confused...... Anyways thanks for your time.

See here: http://www.killersites.com/community/index.php?/topic/3010-cant-open-my-website/page__gopid__16509entry16509

Basically, Windows often hides the file extension, so you may have a file named "index.html.txt", which the browser sees as a text file, not as HTML.

Yeah makes perfect sense. I've actually heard of this before so I checked the preferences in my text edit on my mac and made sure that that additional file extension option was turned off yet it persists in showing me the html....

It's pretty frustrating...Any other advice?? Thanks again.

Just a little something to help you out.

You do not have to but name your files in lower case, not ROOT.CSS

Your problem, make sure all of your files are in the same letter case. main.css and MAIN.CSS or index.html and INDEX.HTML are not the same. Make sure that your index.html not index.html.html

It would also help us if you post your css file and what your file and folder names are.