What is Pinterest?

iFuturz

I'd check on their website - I imagine you find all the information about it right there. Or, if you want more unbiased input, maybe try Google.

Well Pinterest is a type of social networking websites where you can list all your images and share with you fellow friends. It can benefit you if all you share those good looking product images and by the way attracting folk to visit your websites. This way you can generate some leads for your business.

Seriously? Another photo sharing thing-a-ma-jig? So like Photobucket, Flicker etc.?

Nope - not like that. You kind of bookmark random photographed objects you find and people who are connected to your account can see what you find 'Pinworthy'. Or, in the words of Wikipedia:

Pinterest is a pinboard-style social photo sharing website that allows users to create and manage theme-based image collections such as events, interests, hobbies and more. Users can browse other pinboards for inspiration, 're-pin' images to their own collections and/or 'like' photos. Pinterest's mission is to "connect everyone in the world through the 'things' they find interesting"[3] via a global platform of inspiration and idea sharing. Pinterest allows its users to share 'pins' on both Twitter and Facebook, which allows users to share and interact with a broad community.[citation needed] Founded by Ben Silbermann, of West Des Moines, Iowa,[4] the site is managed by Cold Brew Labs and funded by a small group of entrepreneurs and inventors. It is one of the “fastest growing social services in the world.”[5]

I guess you could "Pin" images of say products that are new or on sale this week for customers to track...

"Social Media is the worst thing to happen to the Internet since AOL Dial-up" - Me, 5/8/2012

At least at this point, I'm not seeing a whole lot of commercial applications, though yes, a company could set up an account to share products or images that they like. Mostly, Pinterest seems to be targeting females who are sharing fashion images/cooking and dieting tips/quotes/do-it-yourself projects/etc. My guess is that it's currently about 75-80% female. I understand the potential commercial opportunities to Facebook or Twitter... but not so much on Pinterest yet.

Pinterest is a pinboard- style social photo sharing website that allows users to create and manage theme- based image collections such as events, interests, hobbies and more. It also allows the user to share pins on both Twitter and Facebook which allows them to share and interact with a broad community. It is one of the fastest growing social services in the world and really a fun way to create inspiration for your business. Also Pinterest can be used to host competitions. Try getting users to create a pin board of their favourite items from your pin boards. This is a brilliant way to get links to your pages and products. It will also make your brand stand out and rise above your competitors. Your users are able to value your business on a multi-dimensional level.

• 2 months later...

Pinterest is a website that do pinboard-style social photo sharing. They allows users to create and manage theme-based image collections such as events, interests, hobbies, and more. Every users can browse other pinboards for inspiration, 're-pin' images to their own collections or 'like' photos. Pinterest users can upload, save, sort and manage images, known as pins, and other media content (i.e. videos) through collections known as pinboards

• 1 month later...

Pinterest is a website where you can Pin the images or videos that your site contain, so that your friends can have a look at your site videos and images and if they click on that video or image he/she will be redirected to your webpage and hence the images or videos that you pin contains the URL to your webpage. Hence it is used to promote your site or blogs.