does font size carry proportional line height

Ant

If I stylize something like this(see below), does HTML NOT have a standard appropriate line height for X font size? I ask because if I don't want to stylize text with any heading tags and I want to stylize it with a P tag but then change the font size the spacing between lines is always too close.

My guess is I'm breaking the rules by doing it like that. My thought is P is like a default text tag, it's not bold etc so I use it then add styles to adjust it per the situation. The problem is stylizing it with JUST font-size screws up the line height.

<p><span style="font-size: 18pt; line-height: 150%;">Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nullam semper luctus urna, in iaculis lectus lacinia sed. Vivamus porttitor diam nunc, vel auctor leo. Sed volutpat lacus sed nulla convallis eu tempus quam vulputate. </span></p>

Do I always need to define the line height whenever I use the font-size variable? Even if I create a class and choose font size, color etc do i need to define a line-height because just font-size:20px does not know how much line height to place?

Thanks,

A.