Pages won't link

Green eye

I've moved your post into its own thread.

You may find the answer to your problem in this thread:

http://www.killersites.com/forums/topic/839/page-cannot-be-displayed/

What tutorial are you following?

I notice a couple issues in your code, but none of them explain why the pages won't work:

Your doctype is not complete.

You should always start your file names with lower case letters - it'll save you lots of problems in the long run (as file names are case sensitive)

Hello Thelma,

Thank you for responding to my post. The course I'm doing is the "Web Design 1" course for beginners - video tutorial.

I looked at the link you posted in your reply and I think I have the same problem as "hellohereisjim" (copied below) in that my four pages are all named .html, (ie. tutorial_tables.html) but when you look at the properties of the page, its' page name is "tutorial_tables.html.html" . Is this where the error lies Thelma?, I don't know how to change this, simply renaming the page without the ".html" file exrension does not alter the properties page name - still ".html.html".

Another question Thelma,what part of the Doctype am I missing and what is the relevance? . . please don't laugh too loudly!! us newbies can be of a sensitive disposition !

I figured it out , my title of the file on my desktop for each file , index,tops,pants and sets.I had named them tops.html, so when the browser viewed them it put in the end another html and it wouldnt view, so i deleteed the end of the name just called it tops and it works now.

It looks like the text editor you are using is adding the extension .html to your pages which already have that extension. I'm not a PC person but I would suggest going to your text editor's Preferences and unchecking the box "save with extension" or something similar.

Thank you Virtual,

Looking at it now it seems so obvious, I had forgotten I originally saved the text file with the .html extension instead of the .txt and that's where the problem lay.

I opened the four pages again and saved them as .txt and refreshed the web page and all pages now link!

Thank you for your help

LOGO GOES HERE

Home

Products

CSS

Tables Tutorial

XXX Do You Want To Know How To Get Your Own Website?

If You Want To Learn About Getting your Own Website, You've Come To The Right Place!

Below You Will See A List Of Key Areas Of This Website That Will Get You To Exactly What You Will Want To Take A Look At As This

Will Take You To Some Main Areas To Get You On Your Way To Your Very Own Personal/Business Website In No Time:

Web Site Articles For Beginners

The articles section of onlinepersonalwebsite.com

contains a grab bag of information related to web sites ... anything from Flash to XML. You should always look around

as you will probably find something you are interested in.

Getting Started

How Much Does A Website Cost?

What Can We Offer You Or Your Business?

I Want To Learn How To Design A Website!

Online Personal Website...

Are you one of the millions of people out there who has allways dreamed of owning their very own Website??

Maybe you are one of the millions out there who has been wishing they could start out their very own ONLINE MARKETING BUSINESS??

Or MAYBE you can't seem to find some one who will design your custom website for a price to suit your budget,

(Untill You Have Seen MY Prices Ofcourse). No matter what you need if it has to do with your Website, I AM the person you

can rely on to have your site up and running in no time... Make sure you check out everything through my navigation page

which is found on the left hand side of all my web pages, Be sure you check it out and see what my business can do for you,

Soon i will let you in on all of my EXTREMELY MIND BLOWING PRICES....

I will personally design your very own Online Website, Whether it may be for General use as i was saying, or you are a proud business

owner looking to take your business to the next level, And What Better Way To Do Business!!! If you follow the right Online Marketing Tactics

which has been proven many times you will have an awesome chance to get NOTICED AND SUCCEED in ONLINE MARKETING.....

What Else Can We Do For You?

Online Person Website Can and will take you through step by step of your BRAND NEW WEBSITE which i will have designed

for yourself as requested. Basically i build your website and detail it to the best of my software allowance as i am a web designer, I AM NOT

A GRAPHIX DESIGNER, Now with that being said i simply do not have that software but you will see and from my site es[ecially as it will be

used as examples as to how your page will turn out. Of course every one is different and that also being said keeping it in mind when you are

comparing my web site pages with what yours are going to be this is not correct as i can design web sites all in different manner but i will

show you most of my web site pages will be set out as 70% of the worlds well known layout of how a web site in my perspective should look...

PLEASE.... Every Piece Of FeedBack Is Highly Appreciated

We would like to Receive Any Feedback from you that You Feel You Would Like To Share With Us To Better

My Business With Helping My Customers Get A Better Understanding (This Means You Too), This Way It Will Help Others In The

Future To Get A Clear Image Of Exactly What They Need To Know And Will Help Resolve Any Confusion Just Incase I have not picked up

on any missing text or errors Which May Have Occurred. It is NOT highly important but it is

something as a web designer i like to have no mistakes of course. But reallity is this, When you

design something, and you design that very SOMETHING FROM (NOTHING) based on a layout of codes and yes i mean (CODES) unfortunately you may

happin to misspell a word every now and then but 98% of the time everything is perfect. If Not No Worries At All it is A One minute Fix...

Do You Have Any Questions? They Will Be Answered ASAP

The Onlinepersonalwebsite.com message/bulletin board /Questions Section Will Get A Response Back To

You Normally Pretty Quick, However Sometimes We May Be tied Up As Other Projects Are In The Making, Our Business Policy Is "Look After A Paying

Customer First", This Is A Rule We Have Followed Since Day One And Will Remain Intacked as it is very affective With Our Sales. This Way All My

Customers Are Happy... BTW, Remember that the Questions Board can also be used as a free source of information...(just a little tip for you guys

as i want you to get the most out of this website as possible)...

Thank You For Stopping By.

Kind Regards,

Nathan Childs

EVERYTHING IS FINE I WORKED IT OUT!!!!

same problem as a few people seemed to have had i had .html after my index and the rest so browser was trying to add another on the end yes yes yes yes yesssss this is awesome i can't believe how much i have learnt in just lets say 14 hours and i only had a rough ideah of how things worked from changing aweber autoresponder codes and dns settings those kind of things mind you on another one of my websites the opt in form would not work this cost me 30usd not once either twice as i changed the text in he actual front page and the code changed again and i got charged a further 30 usd i was like no way and this was in 24 hours mind you so i have come here for help and you better believe it this is the best thing i have done so far as web design is what i have always wanted to do well just for the newbies that come here and do see this YOU HAVE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION AND I BET YOU WONT FIND AN EASIER GUY TO TEACH YOU EITHER SO KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND IF things are getting a bit to much don't try to take it all in at once take a break if you still have troubles come here and read other peoples posts as it WILL TELL YOU you just have to find it i was lucky i just posted mine and then i checked out a page i never before and whollaa it worked everything i needed to know THANK YOU.

Regards, Nathan Childs

P.s sorry for writing so much and probably in the wrong spot to sorry...

Thanks for reminding me that I'm old.

Should I change all my "name" to "id", I'm doing a complete rewrite of a site I first wrote 11 years ago.

I've found CSS and stylesheets and of course this great site.

My head is spinning and I'm loving it.

Jim.