where do I really start from? #confused#

Guest mr9ceguy01

Guest mr9ceguy01

please folks especially the professional site designers in here,really need your help as to what to start with on this my quest to be a site designer...There are so many terms i hear about from peeps that i wont lie to you gets me confused and i actually dont know which to start with: HTML,XHTML,PHP,ASP.NET,DREAMWEAVER..etc....For beginners like me, what am i expected to start with amidst all of these? and from there what next?..do i realy need to be av thorough knowledge on graphics design before i can start designing?...this and and many more I believe you can help me find answers to so i can start learning whatever it is i have to start with as soon as possible!

Start out learning basic HTML and CSS - they go hand-in-hand. Dreamweaver is an editor that's pretty useful, but y9ou do not need it to build websites. PHP adds useful functionality, and can be good to know, but there are also plenty sites where you can get 'pre-fab' PHP to do whatever it is you need done. Start with HTML and CSS. You'll find several free tutorials right here on Killersites.

I think if you have good knowledge in graphics design and you are creative, then you have a good prospect in web design field. Graphics design is preliminary stage of web design, after that should proceed for learning PHP, HTML,CSS, etc. More you learn, you will more expert.

1. You will need a text editor. You do not need to go and buy one there are free ones out there that work great. Here are my two favorite, Komodo Edit and notepad ++ Both of these have everything that you need to help out with writing code. You do not need line numbers or color sintex but it helps. With Komodo Edit you save you files in a project folder. Notepadd++ is a little easier to start with.

2. You need some place to start studying code. Start here at this site. It is awesome.

3. Start with html and css like Andrea said.

4. You need a lot of time. If you want to build web sites for a living the learning process takes time. You will have to spend every minute that you can studying. No TV

5. Once you start learning a little code browse the internet and find a site that you like and copy it it is a great tool for learning.

6. Do not try to learn PHP untill you have a good understanding of html and css.

7. You need something like Photo Shop. But PS is quite on the expansive side. Gimp is free and is good for starting out.

This is just my opinion, learn the code and do not really on something like Dream Weaver to do it for you. This can make a crutch and make moving past a certain point header. That is what happened to me. Also LSW wrote a great article on this subject here on this forum.

Once I quite relying on Dream Weaver I started remembering code and can now write it faster than I can click it with Dream Weaver. Also when you get to the point of using a CMS like word press or one of the other ones you will have to know the code because it will not write it for you.

Start with Xhtml and Css like mentioned before they go hand in hand and quite frankly it's a must learn once oyu have that down you need to think about what you want to gain personally I am begining to learn javascript php mysql thus meaning not only can you work the front end of webdesign but also know how to make the functionality of the site login pages and forums etc.

Hope this helps.