Trouble With Spry Menu

petluver

Hello

Hoping someone can be so kind to help me. I am having a very odd under layer appear under my drop down menus. I want it gone. It's driving me insane. I also cannot figure out why the top level links that have sub menus are not turning yellow on hover..but the other top level links who do not are turning yellow on hover. Thank you folks in advance.

The nav bar in action:

http://critternannies.com/2012_critter_nannies_template9.shtml

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The codes:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Here is the code below:

@charset "UTF-8";

/* SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css - Revision: Spry Preview Release 1.4 */

/* Copyright © 2006. Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved. */

/*******************************************************************************

LAYOUT INFORMATION: describes box model, positioning, z-order

*******************************************************************************/

/* The outermost container of the Menu Bar, an auto width box with no margin or padding */

ul.MenuBarHorizontal

{

margin: 0;

padding: 0;

list-style-type: none;

font-size: 100%;

cursor: default;

width: auto;

background-image: url(/images/nannies/nav_bg.jpg);

font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

}

/* Set the active Menu Bar with this class, currently setting z-index to accomodate IE rendering bug: http://therealcrisp....-zindexbug.html */

ul.MenuBarActive

{

z-index: 1000;

background-image: url(/images/nannies/nav_dwn.jpg);

}

/* Menu item containers, position children relative to this container and are a fixed width */

ul.MenuBarHorizontal li

{

position: relative;

text-align: left;

cursor: pointer;

width: 8.1em;

float: left;

}

/* Submenus should appear below their parent (top: 0) with a higher z-index, but they are initially off the left side of the screen (-1000em) */

ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul

{

z-index: 1020;

cursor: default;

width: 160px;

position: absolute;

left: -1000em;

}

/* Submenu that is showing with class designation MenuBarSubmenuVisible, we set left to auto so it comes onto the screen below its parent menu item */

ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul.MenuBarSubmenuVisible

{

left: auto;

}

/* Menu item containers are same fixed width as parent */

ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul li

{

width: 160px;

}

/* Submenus should appear slightly overlapping to the right (95%) and up (-5%) */

ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul ul

{

margin: -5% 0 0 95%;

}

/* Submenu that is showing with class designation MenuBarSubmenuVisible, we set left to 0 so it comes onto the screen */

ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul.MenuBarSubmenuVisible ul.MenuBarSubmenuVisible

{

left: auto;

top: 0;

}

/*******************************************************************************

DESIGN INFORMATION: describes color scheme, borders, fonts

*******************************************************************************/

/* Submenu containers have borders on all sides */

ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul

{

border: 2px solid #ff6;

}

/* Menu items are a light gray block with padding and no text decoration */

ul.MenuBarHorizontal a

{

display: block;

cursor: pointer;

padding: 0.5em 0.85em;

text-decoration: none;

color: #000;

}

/* Menu items that have mouse over or focus have a blue background and white text */

ul.MenuBarHorizontal a:hover, ul.MenuBarHorizontal a:focus

{

color: #000066;

font-style: bold;

font-weight: 100;

}

/* Menu items that are open with submenus are set to MenuBarItemHover with a blue background and white text */

ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarItemHover, ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarItemSubmenuHover, ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarSubmenuVisible

{

color: #000;

}

SUBMENU INDICATION: styles if there is a submenu under a given menu item

/* Menu items that have a submenu have the class designation MenuBarItemSubmenu and are set to use a background image positioned on the far left (95%) and centered vertically (50%) */

ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarItemSubmenu

{

background-image: url(SpryMenuBarRight.gif);

background-repeat: no-repeat;

background-position: 95% 50%;

color: #003366;

}

/* Menu items that are open with submenus have the class designation MenuBarItemSubmenuHover and are set to use a "hover" background image positioned on the far left (95%) and centered vertically (50%) */

ul.MenuBarHorizontal a.MenuBarItemSubmenuHover

{

background-image: url(SpryMenuBarDown.gif);

}

/* Menu items that are open with submenus have the class designation MenuBarItemSubmenuHover and are set to use a "hover" background image positioned on the far left (95%) and centered vertically (50%) */

ul.MenuBarHorizontal ul a.MenuBarItemSubmenuHover

{

background-image: url(SpryMenuBarDownHover.gif);

}

BROWSER HACKS: the hacks below should not be changed unless you are an expert

/* HACK FOR IE: to make sure the sub menus show above form controls, we underlay each submenu with an iframe */

ul.MenuBarHorizontal iframe

{

z-index: 1010;

}

/* HACK FOR IE: to stabilize appearance of menu items; the slash in float is to keep IE 5.0 from parsing */

@media screen, projection

{

ul.MenuBarHorizontal li.MenuBarItemIE

{

display: inline;

f\loat: left;

background-color: #FFF;

}

}

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<ul id="MenuBar1" class="MenuBarHorizontal">

<li><a href="/aboutus.shtml" title="All About Critter Nannies Dog Walking & Pet Sitting Inc." class="MenuBarItemSubmenu">About Us</a>

<ul>

<li><a href="/affiliations.shtml">Affiliations</a></li>

<li><a href="/aboutfounder.shtml">About The Founder</a></li>

<li><a href="/nannybiographies.shtml">Nanny Biographies</a></li>

<li><a href="/client_testimonials.shtml">Client Testimonials</a></li>

<li><a href="/ourclients.shtml">Our Clients</a></li>

</ul>

</li>

<li><a href="/services.shtml" title="Critter Nannies Dog Walking & Pet Sitting Services" class="MenuBarItemSubmenu">Services</a>

<ul>

<li><a href="/pricing.shtml" title="Service Pricing">Service Pricing</a></li>

<li><a href="/caninecare.shtml">Canine Care</a></li>

<li><a href="/puppycare.shtml" title="Critter Nannies Puppy Care Information">Puppy Care</a></li>

<li><a href="/felinecare.shtml" title="Critter Nannies Feline Care Information">Feline Care</a></li>

<li><a href="/vacationcare.shtml" title="Critter Nannies Vacation Care Information">Vacation Care</a></li>

<li><a href="/pettaxi.shtml" title="Pet Transportation Information">Pet Taxi</a></li>

<li><a href="/medical.shtml" title="Medical Needs Information">Medical Needs</a></li>

<li><a href="/faqs.shtml">FAQ</a>

</li></ul></li>

<li><a href="/servicearea.shtml" title="Critter Nannies Service Area">Service Area</a></li>

<li><a href="/contactus.shtml" title="Contact Critter Nannies Dog Walking & Pet Sitting Inc." class="MenuBarItemSubmenu">Contact Us</a>

<ul>

<li><a href="/new_inquiries.shtml" title="New Client Inquiries">New Client Inquiries</a></li>

<li><a href="/reservations.shtml" title="Reserve Future Pet Care">Reserve Pet Care</a></li>

</ul>

</li>

<li><a href="/boutique.shtml" title="Shop Our Boutique" class="MenuBarItemSubmenu">Shop</a></li>

<ul>

<li><a href="/merchants.shtml" title="Pawferred Merchants">Pawferred Merchants</a></li>

</ul>

</ul>

Overall, you seem to have some confusion in your code. This:

BODY { background-image: url(/images/nannies/yellow_back.jpg) }
BODY { background-repeat: repeat }
BODY { background-position: center }

should look like that:

BODY { background-image: url(/images/nannies/yellow_back.jpg;
  			background-repeat: repeat;
  			background-position: center;
}

or better yet, like this:

BODY { background: url(/images/nannies/yellow_back.jpg;}

Background repeat is the default, so no need to even say so, and since you're repeating it, centering it is kind of redundant.

Also, you have:

<link href="[url="view-source:http://critternannies.com/css/mainsite.css"]/css/mainsite.css[/url]" rel="[url=""]stylesheet[/url]" type="[url=""]text/css[/url]" /><link href="[url="view-source:http://critternannies.com/css/mainsite1.css"]/css/mainsite1.css[/url]" rel="[url=""]stylesheet[/url]" type="[url=""]text/css[/url]" /><link href="[url="view-source:http://critternannies.com/css/mainsite.css"]/css/mainsite.css[/url]" rel="[url=""]stylesheet[/url]" type="[url=""]text/css[/url]"><link href="[url="view-source:http://critternannies.com/css/mainsite.css"]/css/mainsite.css[/url]" rel="[url=""]stylesheet[/url]" type="[url=""]text/css[/url]">

That's 3 of the same. I don't think it'll hurt anything, but there's no point in it, either.

Then there is:

<body background ="/images/nannies/yellow_back.jpg" bgproperties="fixed">

which totally overrides anything you have in the internal styling mentioned above.And then I see you're using tables for layout - that's not right, either.

You should be using CSS for formatting and layout. Tables are for tabular data.

But now to your actual questions:I don't know what you mean by the underlayer that's appearing. I didn't see anything that struck me as out of place. Can you describe or provide a screenshot?

The reason the top level nav without submenu items is not turning yellow, as only those items with the class "MenuBarItemsSubmenu"do that and that's missing on your nav item for 'Service Area".The spry stylesheet explains pretty well what's going on: http://critternannie...izontal.css

Also, the sub item for Pawferred Merchants is not showing under your "Shop" menu item, that's because the list is coded wrong - remove the closing li tag following Shop</a> and add a closing li and closing ul tag to the end - like so:

<li><a href="/boutique.shtml" title="Shop Our Boutique" class="MenuBarItemSubmenu">Shop</a></li>
 <ul> 
<li><a href="/merchants.shtml" title="Pawferred Merchants">Pawferred Merchants</a></li>
</ul>  
</li></ul>
</td>

I also recommend running this through the validator, you have over 90 errors in your code.

I'm trying to answer this post, but something is totally falling apart on how my text shows up. I'm having admin look into it, but meanwhile, maybe you can figure something out with this mess.

Ben, Stef, HELP!!!

Hello

Hoping someone can be so kind to help me. I am having a very odd under layer appear under my drop down menus. I want it gone. It's driving me insane. I also cannot figure out why the top level links that have sub menus are not turning yellow on hover..but the other top level links who do not are turning yellow on hover. Thank you folks in advance.

The nav bar in action:

http://critternannie...template9.shtml

Just so you know, you can get this tutorial (Dreamweaver Beginners part 2)from the video store here.It has a nice and easy tutorial on sprys which might help you with what you want to do.

http://www.killervid...r-cs5-part2.php