Photoshop Grafiiti problem

kirsiskaspars

Hello!

Currently I am practicing in working with PS CS5.

I've found a couple of tutorials which would help me to learn PS.

So I started to follow the instructions of one particular tutorial

and I really don't know why my work looks so ugly in front of the original.

I am doing all the same but anyway it just looks terrible.

I have added two pictures. One is my work and the other is original.

You will see the difference.

Could you please tell what I am doing wrong?

The link to this tutorial: http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tutorials/text-effects/create-a-cartoon-style-graffiti-text-effect-in-photoshop.html

And pictures are as attachments.

Thank you!

post-40522-068445800 1331648630_thumb.jpg

post-40522-091964900 1331648649_thumb.jpg

I believe that what your problem is that your free hand is not as good as the person that wrote the tutorial. The tutorial is not to teach you how to make the exact image that the author did, it is meant to teach you how to make the same effect with any fount that you want to use. Go back and look at step #3 and the author wrote, "you can go online and find a font that would best fit your design or for my tutorial I created a rough sketch of how I wanted my text to look and scanned it into my computer". What I would do is the pick my own fount and then go and follow the rest of the tutorial to get the effect.

What you did as far as fallowing the tutorial to get the effect the author was teaching you is pretty good. This is kinda of an advanced effect so do not feel bad that the letter is not the exact shape. Remember the author drew it free hand.

I believe that what your problem is that your free hand is not as good as the person that wrote the tutorial. The tutorial is not to teach you how to make the exact image that the author did, it is meant to teach you how to make the same effect with any fount that you want to use. Go back and look at step #3 and the author wrote, "you can go online and find a font that would best fit your design or for my tutorial I created a rough sketch of how I wanted my text to look and scanned it into my computer". What I would do is the pick my own fount and then go and follow the rest of the tutorial to get the effect.

What you did as far as fallowing the tutorial to get the effect the author was teaching you is pretty good. This is kinda of an advanced effect so do not feel bad that the letter is not the exact shape. Remember the author drew it free hand.

Thanks for your reply.

But I am not quite sure I got your idea. Do you mean I should search for some font and then just in PS write the letter? And I also didnt understand what was the point of scanning his sketch of that letter in computer. I wrote that letter in PS with pen tool. Did he do the same or just somehow copied from scanned material to PS? I feel very confused at the moment :D

And I also suppose by free hand you meant that he wrote his letter in PS with pen tool.

Thanks

The reason I am guessing that he wrote his letter on paper first is because it is easier then using the pen tool. Also remember that the tutorial is meant to teach you, "This tutorial will show you how to use layer styles and finish the effect with a vector-style brick background". The author just used the letters that he hand drew to look cool. You will have to hand draw or use the pen tool in Photo Shop to get that exact look. But remember this is not what the tutorial is for.

When you scan something onto your PC to open it in photo shop I save the scan as a jpeg and then open it in photo shop and then save as a psd.

As I said in my last post you did a good job at what the author was trying to teach you. So to sum up I would not worry about the letter not being the exact same shape.

Edited by grabenair

The reason I am guessing that he wrote his letter on paper first is because it is easier then using the pen tool. Also remember that the tutorial is meant to teach you, "This tutorial will show you how to use layer styles and finish the effect with a vector-style brick background". The author just used the letters that he hand drew to look cool. You will have to hand draw or use the pen tool in Photo Shop to get that exact look. But remember this is not what the tutorial is for.

When you scan something onto your PC to open it in photo shop I save the scan as a jpeg and then open it in photo shop and then save as a psd.

As I said in my last post you did a good job at what the author was trying to teach you. So to sum up I would not worry about the letter not being the exact same shape.

Ok! Thanks! ;)

I just had an idea for you to get the exact shape. Not being much of an artist myself, I would copy the img from the tutorial, then one with just the black outline of the letter into a folder. Then print it out then hold it up to a window and trace it out on another piece of paper. Then scan it on to your PC, open it with photo shop. Now you would have the exact img. I know sounds like a lot but I can not draw even stick people so this is what I would do.

I just had an idea for you to get the exact shape. Not being much of an artist myself, I would copy the img from the tutorial, then one with just the black outline of the letter into a folder. Then print it out then hold it up to a window and trace it out on another piece of paper. Then scan it on to your PC, open it with photo shop. Now you would have the exact img. I know sounds like a lot but I can not draw even stick people so this is what I would do.

Great! That should work.

Thanks!