Web sites that suck: 90's

LSW

raised.gif

Inspired from a recent thread about Hit counters (those were big in the 90's) I tried to find a web site I once knew built entirely from the worst in web design of the 90's/early 2000's. If anyone remembers it, can you post it for me?

But looking for it I came across my old friend "Web Sites That Suck .com" which I had forgotten in intervening years. What I found and offer you today is: Gorgeous Websites From The Late 90's To Inspire You — If You Have No Taste

That said they have lists for the lists of worst web sites of recent years as well.

For us older... OK, "More experienced"... designers, it is a blast from the past that will likely leave you thinking "I had forgotten web design like that... why would this idiot post this and make me remember?"

For younger designers, get out your pad and pen and prepare to learn "what not to do." This article says it best:

...you can really learn from and be inspired by web sites that are featured on Web Pages That Suck — especially those from the late 90's. At the very least, you can learn to take the other direction. More importantly, you'll feel good about your design skills because nobody ever looked at the examples on Web Pages That Suck and said, "I'm a horrible designer because I can't create these kinds of web sites." When you leave this site, you'll feel good about your design skills.

Nor do I think anyone will ever consider "Retro" designs and flash back on the 90's.

huh.gif

• 1 year later...

Love this one "There's a golden Jesus thing." actually made me chuckle. It is rubbish though, shaking my head at the rest on the 2012, or whatever list.

I have seen some I'm going to improve for places around here, geographically speaking of course, it's clear to me some of them (ok most of them), they've taken templates and tried to modify them without checking browser (or even knowing about) compatibility those make me weep more.

Finally great post!