CSS3 or PSD ($64,000 question)

krakestraw

SO... Here's the million dollar question. In design, do i use CSS3, or Photoshop?

I'm fairly new to web design. I've read "Head First XHTML and CSS" which is somewhat outdated since it stops at XHTML and i see a lot

of HTML5 and CSS3. I don't know if it's just because i'm new, but it seems like using photoshop to make layouts is VERY tedious and

time consuming. Especially since i dont know how to do that yet. I've also seen that CSS3's properties allows you to do a lot more design

such as rounded corners, gradients, etc. And then of there is Fireworks which i have zero knowledge of how to use it.

So basically since I haven't learned any of these, which would benefit me the most? Should I not worry with photoshop since apparently

CSS3 can do it? Or is CSS3 still not as good as photoshop?

Also, if you know any recourses that could help me on this, please let me know. (books, sites, tutorials)

Anything is greatly appreciated.

-Kevin

HTML5 and CSS3 go together and are an advance on HTML 4.01 (or XHTML 1.0) and CSS2. Some features in HTML5 and CSS3 are not supported yet by all browsers, so be careful. This site, if used with javascript/ActiveX, will show which browsers support which elements:

http://caniuse.com/# (just click on an item on the index page).

Photoshop is for designing images, essentially. You can use it to create a web page but many developers don't approve of that. Just use it for design effects and then code manually or with Dreamweaver in manual mode (Dreamweaver is expensive, many people start by using a simple text editor like Notepad or Notepad++).

Edited by Wickham

HTML5 and CSS3 go together and are an advance on HTML 4.01 (or XHTML 1.0) and CSS2. Some features in HTML5 and CSS3 are not supported yet by all browsers, so be careful. This site, if used with javascript/ActiveX, will show which browsers support which elements:

http://caniuse.com/# (just click on an item on the index page).

Photoshop is for designing images, essentially. You can use it to create a web page but many developers don't approve of that. Just use it for design effects and then code manually or with Dreamweaver in manual mode (Dreamweaver is expensive, many people start by using a simple text editor like Notepad or Notepad++).

I have dreamweaver but I see a lot of people looking down on it. I also downloaded the Coda demo, and the Espresso demo. Also when i said photoshop I did mean using it strictly for design effects. Such as gradients and such. It's just confusing on how to cut it all up and getting everything the right size and in sync with the markup.

I'll check your link out although i haven't started on javascript yet. I was a graphic designer and recently switched to web design which i'm really interested in, so i'm pretty efficient in photoshop and illustrator. Just making it clear that i'm not a COMPLETE noob lol, just when it comes to web design.

Thank you again for replying so fast to my questions and I appreciate the information man.

When I said "This site, if used with javascript/ActiveX, will show which browsers support which elements:" I meant that your browser should have javascript/ActiveX enabled, but the site does work if javascript is disabled.

In general, I suppose it's better to use HTML5 and CSS3 for special features if the feature you choose is well supported, then use Photoshop if HTML5/CSS3 is not well supported. That's the future way. HTML5/CSS3 will probably be smaller KB and quicker processing.

Edited by Wickham

When I said "This site, if used with javascript/ActiveX, will show which browsers support which elements:" I meant that your browser should have javascript/ActiveX enabled, but the site does work if javascript is disabled.

In general, I suppose it's better to use HTML5 and CSS3 for special features if the feature you choose is well supported, then use Photoshop if HTML5/CSS3 is not well supported. That's the future way. HTML5/CSS3 will probably be smaller KB and quicker processing.

Ha yeah i realized that once i clicked on the link.

And that is more of the type of answer i was looking for. Thanks!