Data Base-My Sql ? I'm new

UrbanMermaid

Hi,

I'm new to web design. I have a lot of ideas for websites and am just starting to learn html, html 5, java script, and css. I do not know PHP. I am interested in starting to compile a data base of people that are potential people to market services to in the many different categories I am interested in creating websites for. Is there an advantage to placing them into a desktop data base like Microsoft Access as opposed to Outlook? I want to design e-commerce sights and dynamic content sights with user interaction, so I will eventually want to learn PHP and My Sql. Do you have to buy MySql at a 2000.00 price tag to take the Killer Sites video tutorials? How do people use it when they pay for a website host like Go Daddy for instance? Do you just rent it from them? I have read many articles on the net and they all sound confusing to me because I don't understand how data bases work and I don't have my own server. I understand that MySql is probably the best for what I want to do later and would like to start learning it, but I don't own it. I don't want to do double work, if there is an advantage to using my SQL now while learning it so I don't do double work later, I would like to (but not if I have to spend 2000.00) Any help you can offer to clear my head would be appreciated.

Tammy

No, you shouldn't need to pay for MySQL... I'm not sure where you got that idea? It's freely available as part of WAMP (for Windows) and MAMP (for Mac) that includes a Apache server, MySQL and PHP support: http://www.wampserver.com/en/ and http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html

You can run it on your local computer for testing purposes, but if you want to have it online you would need to purchase hosting through an online hosting company. Most people here discourage GoDaddy (it's cheap, but support has been terrible in my experience) but you might want to look at iPage or HostGator. Usually you can find something for $10 a month or less.

Personally, if your database is going to be used online, then it's best put in a MySQL database or similar that's meant to be used online.