Looking to start building small business websites.

jordanball33

I am looking to start making websites for a few small business locally for a hobby mostly (I have a full time job) and hopefully it will turn into more and more once I am more advanced. I think the business I work for has a weak website and could use major updating and also we would like the ability to edit content and images more often. I also have friends with small business that would just like a name presence on the internet with a web address. A simple one page website would suffice for a while with a few images and contact information and maybe references. I am just looking for a clean look.

I plan on using hostgator.com for hosting and domain purchasing. Do they also have email?

I know a pretty good bit of html, and have a cheatsheet for coding. And I also took a C+ class in college about 3 years ago. My plan was to graduate in information systems but had to leave school for other family financial obligations. I've went back thru a couple of old C+ programs and seems to recall it pretty well when its in front of me.

The question is what should I use to create a webpage. I was thinking Dreamweaver but I would definately be open to cheaper programs to get started in.

My passion has always been with computers and web design, so I am finally taking the opportunity to see what I can do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to gain all the knowledge of things I will need to know to start up and see where this adventure takes me. So don't feel bad for telling me things you may assume I already know. I have gained information from all over the net. I am here to find out what it really takes. Thanks

Would you recommend wordpress and ipage?

That's what I'm using - no complaints.

As for software, you don't need Dreamweaver - there are plenty of free editors out there with similar features. HTML Kit for example - and that's just one of many.

Would you recommend wordpress and ipage?

Personally, I like Ipage, have been using it for almost two months now. I like their customer service a lot. I haven't graduated to WordPress yet but I do use Dreamweaver CS5 which is a very useful tool for learning how to create and understand page layouts etc. There are some very useful material in the video store on this site. I have been playing around with the 'Coffee Cup' free HTML editor for the past 3 days and it looks very promising, plus it free.