Background image help

Susie

I am coding this layout and am struggling with the left side navigation background.

http://cli.gs/BLPdsE

Because the main background is a gradient, I've had to use transparent pngs for these images. I need to make the left nav expandable, but I don't see how to make it work.

What I've done is create a top and bottom image so it can be expandable, but when I set the background color to match the image, the corners of the box stick up past those rounded corners.

If this background were a solid color, I could do it no problem like you see on the right with the white content area. But there's a gradient here, too.

Can anyone give me an idea on how best to accomplish this? TIA!

Edited by Susie

Seems like the easiest solution would be to modify the left-nav-top-bg.png img (http://www.auxanocreative.com/clients/norwalk/images/left-nav-top-bg.png) so that it is much longer so you don't need to use a background color?. Perhaps make it 600ish pixels long?

Otherwise, you'll probably need to do what you did for the footer of that box -- splitting the left-nav-top-bg.png img into two images, one containing the top rounded corners, and the other containing the rest of the image, and then use them in two separate divs.

Hmmm.... I still don't see how to do it. If I were to make the top image 600ish pixels long, then it's not truly expandable because in theory, the client could add several pages and it would eventually not be long enough.

The second way wouldn't work either, would it? I mean, that gradient is confusing me. And I would still have the corners of the box sticking out.

So confused! lol

Thanks, guys.

Ben, I think if I did it that way, I would still have issues because the list wouldn't appear only appear in the middle of the container. Know what I mean? I need the list to appear at the very top and all the way to the very bottom.

Eric, I actually tried, that, but again since the list is at the very top, the new background color covered up that gradient and the swirls.

I understand what your saying (the swirls). You "could" just put the background color on the bottom couple li's. Or why don't you try that AB div solution - that "shoud" work well. Set the top deminsion to start at the very bottom of the top image, and the bottom demension to the very top of the bottom image. And z-index appropriately.

I knew you were gonna ask that. LOL Honestly, I'm not sure....we were in IM and he was using firebug. He was in a hurry to go pick up his kids and my kids kept interrupting me and making it impossible for me to concentrate.

Later tonight, I hope to go through the changes he made and figure it out myself. :D

I got bleach in my eyes a week ago (had to run to the optomologist - I'm fine now I think), before I left I tried for about ten minutes and couldn't find a quick fix. I figured out enough to know I'd have to setup a stripped down test page though. I still might out of couriosity! Those swirls definetely make it more complicated. Well that, and, the adjustable height.