New website

Guest Diane L. Nelson

Guest Diane L. Nelson

I am about to attempt a personal website. I have Adobe CS2, which includes GoLive. Can I use that for creating and managing my website?

I almost upgrades to Dreamweaver, but it seems that is more than I need.

Thanks

Guest Diane L. Nelson

Thank you. I did. I was just trying to decide if your Beginners video would be helpful if I use GoLive. From the samples, it looks like you don't describe specific programs.

Thanks

To create website from scratch, you will need to learn how to code - HTML and CSS.

GoLive is an editor, with it you can create HTML, CSS, PHP files ( your web pages). So, learn handcoding and read manual to GoLive, create with it your first HTML page, upload it to the web - this would be your first website.

You are right more or less, everything we and Stef do is to teach web design. That is about code and not about tools. You would not learn how to build a house by learning to use a nail driver right? You would learn using a hammer because it is about technique and planning and not learning tools. One you can build a house you can learn to use a nail driver to speed the process (and easier on your back/knees).

Same here. To start learning, use notepad, that is what we had to use in school. learn the code and how to work with it. THEN when you can create web sites, move up to free editors to help speed the process a bit. In your case, you can use GoLive. But trying to learn a program AND code will just slow you down and make you dependent on pushing buttons. So learn to code first and then worry about learning an editor.

So Stefs videos are geared towards learning to code independent of what editor you choose.

Just keep in mind, GoLive was a decent program but has been discontinued as Adobe bought out Macromedia and adopted Dreamweaver. But unless you want to work in the indeustry, you really do not need to upgrade to Dreamweaver. I use free editors now. I just used Dreamweaver to know it well enough as this is my profession and it is the standard. It makes things easier & faster... not better. Good web sites are produced by people, not tools.