Inspiration vs ImitatioN

Graeme

Hello all,

I just read a great article entitled 'Inspiration vs Imitation'. I wonder3ed if this had anything to do with say using templates for a web site? I have a good understanding now of web page design but have found some templates that would suit my idea. Although I might use the layout and tweak it a bit and obviously change the content, is this OK?

Thank you as always,

Best wishes,

Graeme

I don't think the article was talking about templates, since templates are intended to be reused by multiple people. As long as you purchased the template or it's freely available, you shouldn't have any trouble. I imagine the article was primarily talking about "borrowing" someone's original design/content without their permission.

A template is intended to be used by whoever downloads/buys it -- because it's a template, it comes with the understanding that it isn't your original work. As a web designer, I tend to think that a portfolio website should accurately reflect your skills -- and thus you shouldn't use a template -- but that's more of a personal choice than anything.

I like to add about the little credit at the bottom of the footer. If you so happen to use someone elses design whether it be a template or from a graphic artist, the best way to state your credit is like this: "Site by The Kasper Group". You can even use "Website by"

Too often I see people use "Website Design by" but uses templates that was not even designed by them. To me that is misleading.