Chrome snorting down Explorer's throat

LSW

Could Chrome overtake Internet Explorer in the browser wars?

According to Web analytics firm StatCounter, the most popular version of Google's browser, Chrome 15, edged out Internet Explorer 8 in early December to become the world's most used edition of a browser. (For those keeping score, the totals were 23.6% of worldwide browser usage compared to IE8's 23.5%.)

Granted this is only for Dec 2011, anyone who reads the article, will also see the over all statistics. But even then Chrome is increasing while IE decreases in use and Firefox stays steady with it's user group. But when was the last time anyone remembers a browser beating IE for even a month? Netscape was likely the last in the late 80's early 90's.

As Eddie notes, the article mentions as well that IE 9 is good enough to finally compete with the other browsers and still has the Windows in house advantage for the less computer suave who just use it because it is there. So IE 10 could keep them just ahead of Chrome, but it will still be in their rear view mirror's blind spot.

I no longer "hate" IE as a peace of crap, 9 is a good browser. Now I simply do not like the interface and prefer Chrome.

What's interesting is how it varies from one website to another.

I have a local community website where most users probably just buy a computer and use IE as it's the only choice with old computers or the first choice with a new one. My website shows Windows 80%, Mac 16%, Internet Explorer (all versions) 43%, Firefox 25%, Safari 15%, Chrome 13%. 99% of visitors are UK.

My HTML/CSS tutorial shows Windows 80%, Mac 14%, Firefox 41%, Chrome 32%, Internet Explorer (all versions) 18%, Safari 5%, Opera 2%. Most visitors are from the USA. January so far has USA 1957 pages, India 1128, GB 669, Netherlands 325, Germany 253, Canada 207, Australia 173, then Poland, Philipines, Turkey, France, China, Brazil, Sweden, Indonesia, Spain, Russian Federation, Italy, Pakistan, Israel, Ukraine, Jordan, Finland, Singapore, European Country. I'm surprised Russia is so low considering that they create such a lot of spam on forums. 4996 unique visitors so far (9am 6th January).

IE has gone right down with techie people despite IE9 being quite good, but Firefox is still top although Chrome is not far behind. Google is almost 100% of searches. Bing is virtually nothing. Google 4885, Bing 34, Yahoo 16.

My personal website with a blog is somewhwere in between the two.

What's interesting is how it varies from one website to another.

This has always been the case, more or less. Although these days, it is more pronounced.

What is really cool about this fast adoption of modern browsers, is the fast adoption of modern browser technologies. M$ can longer slow down the development of browser tech with their once dominant position in the browser wars.

... Now the browser makers are racing to adopt the latest tech as quickly as possible. Thanks to competition!

Stefan

I must have another look at my statistics to see if I can find out how many small-screen devices like mobile phones, tablets, etc. are being used. I've been told that they are 6% of internet use and rising. They may be in the "other browsers" which are a small % so far for me.

I wonder what percentage (if any) of mobile devices are using IE broswer? I mean, before yesterday I never thought that IE had any business with phones.

UPDATE: Well I did find this which in fact a IE mobile browser does exist along with a list of other mobile browser. However, I do not know what percentage of users uses it.

Edited by Eddie

We will all have to jump on the bandwagon, mobile sites are the future. However, the content displayed should not have all the bells and whistles of a desktop viewed web site. The needs of a mobile viewer are entirely different. They are looking for information quickly and under different viewing situations. Unfortunately with the ever changing technology of cell phones and tablets there is no defined standard as yet.

P.S. Please excuse the lousy typing, I'm writing this on my iPad with the "hunt and peck" method and 2 fingers.not my preferred method of typing, but way better than on a cell phone! :bash: