Suddenly Cannot Access my site from my computer

Andrea

I have no idea what is going on.

I'm working on building a new Wordpress site on my hosting account - the path is www.aandbwebdesign.com/wolf-gostitz.info, but should be accessible directly via www.wolf-gostitz.info.

All was well, I had my 'Hello World, had already changed the theme and started adding the first few pages, when I realized, links weren't going directly to wolf-goztitz but took the aandbwebdesign/wolf-gostitz path.

So I was looking around in the settings (General Settings) and change the Wordpress and Site URL from www.aandbwebdesign.com/wolf-gostitz to www.wolf-gostitz.info. I have no idea if that has anything to do with it, but after I updated, I could no longer get to my site, instead, I get taken here: http://dnssearch.rr.com/index.php?origURL=http%3A//www.wolf-gostitz.com/&r= - so I thought my updates messed something up, and I installed a whole new Wordpress - and I still cannot get to the site.

What's really strange, on my iphone, I see my new WP Hello World just fine.

I suspect that something either on my computer or through my internet provider redirects me. The internet provider doesn't necessarily make sense, as my phone is on the same network when I tried and saw the site.

Does anyone have any ideas? What the heck could have happened there, and how do I fix it?????

Yes, I've checked 3 browsers and even after a restart.

I just tried it from work, and the site opened up immediately.

What would be the best first approach - tech support for the hosting account or the internet provider? (I'm guessing the latter, if it were the host, nobody could see the site, or am I thinking wrong?)

I called my ISP who had me clear my browsing history, and I can see the site again. I'd still like to know how this could have happened? One moment it was there, the next, I couldn't access it.

Ouch. So clearing the browser's cache worked but the problem comes back again? That is weird. When you reinstalled WP did you delete all the existing files before reinstalling?

Also, just curious but have you tried another sub-domain name to see if the problem persist?

Yes, I cleared the chache, it worked last night, and after I went back to it this morning, the page disappeared again from ALL my browsers. It's not that it times out, it acts as if the URL just didn't exist.

I have a hosting account with iPage where I now have 3 different domains, all with wordpress. The first two (aandb is one of them) work just fine, but this new one does not. Technically, if I want to visit something on that account that does not exist, I should my aandb 404 page, but no, I get the generic ISP search result page.

iPage Tech support did find an error in the wp-log in file, but I won't be able to test until I get home - but that does not explain why everybody but me on one computer could see the page.

I don't think it's an issue with the Wordpress install - if it was, everybody should have problems and from the beginning, not just me after a few moves, right?

I would run a virus scan for your computer. If you find nothing then run a online virus scan to make certain because some viruses can hide from pc's virus scanners once infected.

This will take time to scan so you first might want to try clearing your cache again in this order:

1. Do not be on the website that you are having trouble viewing.

2. Clear your browser's cache for all your browsers.

3. Close browsers.

4. Verify that it has been cleared by viewing the file folder(s) that manages the cache.

5. For some browsers you will also have to clear your cookies. However, instead of clearing it, see if you can locate the cookie(s) for that domain you are having trouble with and open them to see if you find anything suspisious. Otherwise, delete those related cookies.

5. Reboot.

I am not sure if this will resolve your problem but it is something that I have never ran into before. If you find that you are still having the same issue then go here and post your issue on that forum. I have gotten some good result to common and uncommon problems in the past.

Edited by Eddie

Site was gone again, but I could view it on some browsers using their serve anonymous feature. Next time my url disappears, I'll start studying the cookies, maybe I can figure out what the heck is causing this on this one URL - I don't have any problems with any other sites that I'm aware of, and I certainly don't want to wipe out my history and stuff on a regular basis.

To weird. Have you tried naming another sub-domain and intall WP there to see if it works?

Note: I don't think it has anything to do with it but maybe somehow one of your add-ons, anti-spam scanners or virus scanner could be detecting something wrong with the domain name: www.wolf-gostitz.info thus causing to be flagged as spam?? :)

Did you post your issue on that site I gave you?

Haven't posted yet - I actually looked this morning, and wasn't sure where, but I will post later, as now I'm curious.

I did figure out that somehow, a cookie is to blame. Why and how, no idea, but I experimented with Opera cookies this morning, deleted those with wolf-gostitz in them one at a time, and one after one specific one (info at home), the site was back.

On that hosting account, I have 3 WP sites - the main one, a&b, one sub that's been there forever, one I had there for about 6 months until just a couple weeks ago, and not this one - and nobody gave me any grief but wolf. Go figure.

The quest continues