Beginning of Web design

webdesignbd

Well Web designing is an art of creativity that different you are thinking from others.Because you have to be thin more advance, more unique and lots of creativity of yours.Every element that goes into your web site must have a purpose.

Every single feature of Website must either:

* Help your visitors achieve their goals, or

* Support the site’s goals without obstructing the visitor’s goals

Web Design from Scratch is a complete system for designing sites to the new standard. The processes help you build a complete web site from clarifying your purpose, and creating a solution in architecture, layout and page design.

Edited by Andrea

• 1 month later...

• A fast PC ,but preferably a PC with a screen capable of a high resolution (1900 x 1200 preferably)

• A fast internet connection that is always on

• Some reliable hosting

• A domain name and an email address of your own

• You'll need software too, but much of what you need to develop your own sites is either free, or very cheap. The only really expensive software I use at the moment is Photoshop, but there are cheap (and free) alternatives to that too.

• A fast PC ,but preferably a PC with a screen capable of a high resolution (1900 x 1200 preferably)

• A fast internet connection that is always on

• Some reliable hosting

• A domain name and an email address of your own

• You'll need software too, but much of what you need to develop your own sites is either free, or very cheap. The only really expensive software I use at the moment is Photoshop, but there are cheap (and free) alternatives to that too.

Fast PC's with high resolution screens are sweet... but hardly required... You are designing for the lowest reasonable denominator. You have to assume that the user does not have a super high resolution but a lower resolution square screen. You can do it on a slow PC, laptop, Netbook and in theory a tablet or smart phone, not that I would try, but it is possible with the last two.

Same with high speed always on internet. That has nothing to do with it, you can do it with dial-up as well. Again that is better for sure, but not required. Lots of rural US North America do not have broadband internet and I imagine Canada as well.

• 2 weeks later...

"my friend really wants to get into web design"

If they really mean that, you should consider the point made by Awestruck, perhaps take that further.

Dreamweaver was and still is a popular tool but like all the rest is only truly beneficial when you understand what it does and how to modify that when required.

Also worth noting that in many places the rate of using that type of tool is falling. Plenty of good developers just use something like notepad2, very free, very simple. Even if the site is going to end up pinned to a chosen CMS, this is still the way development often starts.

If you are just building a site or two for personal use, good luck with whatever you choose but to move beyond that, learn the basics of (X)HTML/CSS first, to the point where you could put together a reasonable static site from scratch.

There are plenty of free templates to play with, plus many other ideas for galleries, forms, whatever. Neither does this bar you from throwing a copy of certain pages up in one of the many free visual editors if you feel so inclined and want to see whilst you play around.

The key is to be in control, rather than the software in control of you and the learning curve is not as bad as many think.

Edited by Andrea
Links Deleted - No SPAM, please

Dreamweaver was and still is a popular tool but like all the rest is only truly beneficial when you understand what it does and how to modify that when required.

Also worth noting that in many places the rate of using that type of tool is falling. Plenty of good developers just use something like notepad2, very free, very simple. Even if the site is going to end up pinned to a chosen CMS, this is still the way development often starts.

If you are just building a site or two for personal use, good luck with whatever you choose but to move beyond that, learn the basics of (X)HTML/CSS first, to the point where you could put together a reasonable static site from scratch.

I totally agree with this. I use notepad++ because it gives me more flexibility. I like the idea of being able to control everything about the codes I have. Actually, Dreamweaver is not recommended I think for beginners because they will not be able to grasp the codes beyond those "codes". Better to learn (x)HTML AND CSS. It will take you a long way in designing.

There's a bunch of tutorials here, start reading. Goodluck! :)

Actually, Dreamweaver is not recommended I think for beginners because they will not be able to grasp the codes beyond those "codes".

I don't think that this statement is true - Dreamweaver does have a 'code' feature.