Getting it right when transferring local wordpress site to live server

kennethjaysone

I have a question, i always get this wrong but thankfully i've backed up my database and i manage to get things fixed locally.

I've developed a site locally, and i'm going to explain what i've done in the process of taking the site live. Please correct my mistakes.

Wordpress Version 2.7

1) I downloaded this version and extracted the file (it is on my desktop)

2) Using my webhost's panels, i create a database with the same name as the database that's on my local machine

3) The open the wp-config-sample.php file and rename it to wp_config.php and i make changes to

a) define('DB_NAME', 'dbname');

B) define('DB_USER', 'username');

c) define('DB_PASSWORD', 'password');

d) define('DB_HOST', 'localhost'); (Not sure if i should change this since this is going to go live)

4) Using my webhost's panels, i go into phpMyadmin and import the database that i backed up (since it contains all the posts, pages i created when it was developed locally)

5) I upload the files (Wordpress Files) which i had on my desktop (with the wp_config.php edited)

6) I go to www.url.com/wp-admin/install.php and i get an error saying wordpress has already been installed

8) So i go to www.url.com/wp-admin/ and i login (thankfully, i can login)

7) This is where things go wrong. I can go to the home page via www.url.com but all the other pages point to localhost

What do i have to do to rectify this?

• 1 month later...