web design

peppyc2

I just googled, and to my surprise, (well, not really - I do realize I only know a fraction of what there is to know about webdesign) I found:

https://www.google.com/search?q=convert+pdf+to+html&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Oh great. I tried a few others too like u did. But your link has a better results. Thanks.

Oh ok. But I saw the following code on a site which I tried. It does give the result but I don't know how to modify the drop down code so after the list drops i can go to the site related to the one i choose. (like a link code). So there must be more to the code to complete it. Here is the code i found:

<select>

<option value ="sydney">Sydney</option>

<option value ="melbourne">Melbourne</option>

<option value ="cromwell">Cromwell</option>

<option value ="queenstown">Queenstown</option>

</select>

which gives the drop down result. but how do i go to sydney or melbourne or ceomwell or queenstown sites. There must be more to the above code to send the user to any one of those sites depending on the option chosen by the user.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, I have built a site and uploaded it online. I constructed the home page so everything was central to the page but to my surprise when I printed the page except the title of the page everything else was off center on the print preview and hard copy but when I look at the page online on my laptop everything is totally central as i constructed it. Any clues why this is?

Oh My!!!!

Where is your doctype?

There is code between your closing head and opening body tag (there should not be ANYTHING in between)

You are using inline styling instead of an external stylesheet.

People usually don't go to websites to check the date an time, and you have no design whatsover - just a few thumbnails on white. And putting your email there is nothing but an invitation to be spammed.

If you are interested in designing good websites, you should work through some basic tutorials, for example : http://how-to-build-websites.com/basic-concepts/part1.php

Well, what did you expect from a beginner??!! Thanks for the advice.

Didn't really have any expectations one way or another, I'm just telling you where I see things that are wrong or can be improved-upon.

Well actually I was. I basically wanted to know why the website i built and uploaded looked symmetrical online as i built it but looked off center when I came to print the home page. In terms of design and code writing I know it is nothing compared to what you professional guys can do but I wasn't expecting the answer Andrea posted because she had been extremely helpful up to that point but this time her answer somehow had nothing to do with the question which was and still is a technical one and a simple one of that too for you guys; her answer sounded kinda of a put-down or a coded 'get lost' or something.... Why? I have no idea. Anyway having said all that I'm grateful for her and everybody else's help so far for giving me a helping hand. Many thanks and god bless.

Sorry about that - get lost was absolutely not the message I meant to send. More like "your code needs help, we offer that here".

Your page may look centered on your laptop, but on my wider monitor, it does not look centered, either.

But before I go into any more detail on how to properly center a page, let me ask you what your goal here is: Do you want to learn how to design webpages, or are you pretty much just interested in getting this site look a certain way? Either works, but if it's the latter, then there' no point in explaining things, I can just tell you how to do things without explanation.

Peppy, I am usually the one people complain about! Don't go making her look like the bad guy and me the good guy! I worked hard for my reputation! rolleyes.gif

We do sound a bit short sometimes, this is a side thing we do, we have real lives, real jobs and bad days. We try to help as soon as we can, sometimes interrupting our work etc. so may be a bit cold. It is not personal and it is rare anyone of us really think something is a stupid question. We also realize some folks have more trouble understanding things. I personally have cognitive issues that make programming increasingly difficult to understand and I am lightly autistic.

We just have our days when we are busy and stressed and will state what we see without a lot of friendly fluff so we can get back to work. I am well known for that, huh.gif