The Simplest Possible Site - almost

jwsinchin

I need to make a couple of very simple websites.

Generally, the proprietary website building tools that come free with hosting will do the trick.

It is more or less pure window display. I don't need to be optimised for anything and I don't care about google. All traffic will come from my own clients who I will personally direct to the sites.

Essentially we are talking about 3 -5 pages of flat dead text and 100 visitors a month.

THE PROBLEM is that want clients to be able to download some PDFs from the site. I can't find and free web-design with hosting tools that offer this.

All you have to do is upload your PDFs to the site and then put a link to that PDF onto your page. No idea how you'd do this with whatever tool your host offers, but codewise - after you make sure you upload your PDF into the same folder as the file you're working on, write:

<a href="mypdf.pdf">Download PDF Here</a>

The simple linking may not always work if user has a adobe plugin installed in browser. It will then show the PDF inside the browser instead of giving the download prompt. You will need to add some htaccess directive in that case. Add the following in the .htaccess file on server.

<FilesMatch "\.(?i:pdf)$">

ForceType application/octet-stream

Header set Content-Disposition attachment

</FilesMatch>