XHTML validation

sarina28

Being a student of web design, I want to make sure I follow the rules. My recent website portfolio is styled with valid CSS. However, my xhtml does not validate. I learned that sometimes hacks are used for IE6. Which I have used. Also, I just have more that I need to learn when it comes to correct and semantic code.

I'm seeking your help to my path to validation.

Thanks

ww w.d mtpo rtal.n et - remove spaces

First - Do not use hacks. Hacks take advantage of mistakes in the browser, the mistake gets fixed and hack breaks the site. Use IE Conditional Comments.

Second - XHTML is fr sites using XML based languages like SVG & MathML. If you are not, then XHTML is the wrong language to be using. It is about using the right tool for the job. Use HTML 4.01 Strict.

Third - If you tell me you web site works in IE, then it is not XHTML. IE does not support XHTML. So if it works, you are writing XHTML but serving the browser HTML... badly written HTML at that. To really serve XHTML you need Content Negotiation using PHP or something, so all brpwsers but IE get XHTML and IE gets HTML.

Fourth - If you use XHTML correctly served as XML (which it is), if you make a simple mistake, the web site will not load, you will always have a white page with a red line of XML error message. It has a 0 tolerance for mistakes and is high maintenance. If you allow comments, the visitors comments can break it.

Semantics is really just using the right tool for the job again. Use the tags as they were meant for.

The meaning of Semantics by Molly Holtzschlag

HTML or XHTML?

I like the Retro look you gave the site. I always wanted to have a bit of that look for mine, just never managed a decent design... I am a coder.

Thanks for your quick response. I learned to use hacks form one of my xhtml/css classes. As I remember, we only used them for the drop menu lists. When I thought I got things working, I came across cross browser issues. Thats when I learned about conditional comments. Sometimes it is confusing. You learn one thing, but later find that it is wrong. To keep track of all this information from what I've learned, I created a blog called "My Design Notes." It helps me remember. It is a never ending process. If I'm going to learn something, I want it to be the correct way.

I will read the article tonite.

Thanks again.

ww w.dm tpor tal.n et

Usually, when I see conditional comments, they are in the head section, not spread all over the body part of the code - makes for VERY messy coding.

And non-breaking spaces where NOT meant to be used for positioning.

I do like the look, so - pretty cool (just drop the validation button).

Check you CSS - your wrapper has 2 sets of margin rules.