"First CSS Tutorial"

megana04

I'm trying to complete the first css tutorial on how-to-build-websites.com. I'm working on a mac and I think the problem is when I have to save it. The practice HTML says for me to create a new text document and save it as "practiceHTML.htm. I did that but I'm writing this code in TextEdit because I don't have notepad. After I saved the document accordingly, an error comes up because the computer wants to save the file as "practiceHTML.htm.rtf" What do I need to change or do to make this work so I can view the webpage? Please help me!

I'm trying to complete the first css tutorial on how-to-build-websites.com. I'm working on a mac and I think the problem is when I have to save it. The practice HTML says for me to create a new text document and save it as "practiceHTML.htm. I did that but I'm writing this code in TextEdit because I don't have notepad. After I saved the document accordingly, an error comes up because the computer wants to save the file as "practiceHTML.htm.rtf" What do I need to change or do to make this work so I can view the webpage? Please help me!

Faiz:-

In TextEdit, you'll type in some HTML and have a window that looks like this:

TextEdit default view

textedit-default-view.jpg

This is not good because the program wants to work with Rich Text Format, not plain text (the ruler is the giveaway). To fix that, go to Format --> Make Plain Text and, voila! It'll look like this:

TextEdit plain text view

textedit-plaintext-view.jpg

Much better!

Now, almost done (and you only have to go through this once: once the file is properly named, TextEdit will remember for future edit sessions). Choose File --> Save As... and type in a filename that includes a ".html" filename extension:

TextEdit save as html

textedit-saveas-html.jpg

Looks good. Click on "OK", though, and now you get this:

TextEdit use .html suffix

textedit-use-html.jpg

Click on "Use .html" and, finally, you're done!

Please Reply.

Hi Megana04

I was once a newbie just like you. I hope that I will be able to assist you along the way.

I first started out designing Static HTML website, then went on to use Photoshop, CSS Coding into my websites and now I use all my knowledge when building and customizing a Joomla Content Management Website template.

Regards