Regaining admin acess to wordpress

mittin

Hello there,

so I have quite a big problem. basically the webdesigner/developer that was developing my site, decided to be an asshole, and out of the blue demanded $2000+ I told him I wouldnt pay it, as the current work was bloody awful as well. he then proceeds to take down the whole site, leaving me with no site. He wont even give me admin access as to my site, I cant see the apperance tab or plugin tab as well. He has basically holding me hostage on my own site, i cant develop it or anything. Is there a way to regain control over wordpress and basically my own site? I am preety sure the so called web designer is the admin and he registered as the admin with his email.

Edited by mittin

If the site is 'bloody awful' then why would you want it? Do you have lots of postings and users already? If not, then start over but give yourself full control.

Did you pay anything at all for this site? Deposits?

Is he hosting it for you or is it hosted on your own hosting account? If it's on your hosting account and he has removed the site/pages within the last few days then you could login to your control panel and submit a support request to provide you with a backup copy of the site.

Not much you can do if he claims you owe hime $2000 and I can't imagine what work he had to do to cost that much unless it's a completely new template design and/or very complex coding changes to WP's core file. Either work with him and tell him what you don't like about the design or start over and take it as a lesson learned.

If you need assistant with hosting, installation of Wordpress, design, etc. just post here and we will try to answer any questions you may have. Also, you can hire one of our experience regulars here. In most cases you can find a WP theme that will work for you and we can then install WP to your hosting account along with the preferred theme and make some tweaks as well for well below the mentioned $2000 that the guy is asking for.

Before hiring someone, always do a background check to see if they have the skills and at least 3 clients to verify his/her work, efficiency, quality, etc. Believe it or not, portfolio don't always tell you the whole picture but it helps to know and review their past work.

Explain what you mean by "take down the whole site"? If it's still online and you can access the database and FTP, you can at least make a backup, and could (potentially) set things up again on your own server and change the Wordpress password (manually by editing the database.) If the site has been taken down completely, or you don't have FTP and database access, you may be out of luck here, and your best bet is to negotiate.

...all that said, I probably shouldn't comment any more than that. I've been in both positions -- being forced to take down a client's site due to non-payment, and having a site taken down on me due to miscommunication -- and I really don't want to get involved in whatever issue is going on between the two of you.