Baffled by Wordpress Theme From Scratch Video

Pachino

Hi guys,

I'm trying hard to follow on here but have no clue how we get from downloading wordpress to having it installed.

On The Setting up Wordpress Part 1 video, we seem to jump from downloading WP (at 38 seconds)to it magically being installed. By 1.00 the instructor goes on to talk about the installed structure. ??? I didn't see anything get installed. One minute we were downloading then next he was deleting double wordpress files and renaming one.

Its then mentioned something about extracted all the files onto his file system. Whats a file system? A hard drive folder where we should instal too? How do we instal??

At 1:39 we are told "Now that we have Wordpress installed" (Downloaded yes, but not installed) and then we go onto MAMP.

Could anyone go over this please.

Download wordpress. Extract the file to your folder that is where your php files are. Once the folder is there open readme.html It will take you through installing and setting up the database. I'm not sure how they do it in the videos. That is how I did it. I use IZArk to extract my files.

Edited by benjaminmorgan

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. The Wordpress Themes from Scratch video assumes that you've used Wordpress and so it only quickly covers Wordpress local installation.

In your case, you should watch this free series on how to install Wordpress:

http://www.killersites.com/wordpress/wordpress-videos-new.php

... It covers Wordpress 2.9 but it should still help.

Stefan

Hello Ben and Stefan,

Thanks for the replies. Il have a look into the video link later today and report back.

Thanks again.

(Edited to amend spelling. No content changed.)

Edited by Pacino

Thanks Stefan,

Just wanted to share with others the missing section that had me baffled.

1 - After following the video to 1.06.

2 - Copy your unzipped Wordpress. Navigate to the folder to where you installed Wamp on your hard drive then in that directory open the www. folder.

3 - Paste your uncompressed Wordpress folder into wamp/www.

4 - Un pause the video and follow from 1.06.

Basically in no web guru terms, you don't install wordpress in the traditional way you would install a game or MS word or whatever. (IE you would double click an .exe file (windows) and go through a process where files are installed onto your hard drive.)

Instead, you simply uncompress the download then drag and drop the resulting folder to www.

Hope this helps someone out. Its one of thoese tiny little details that now I think, what was all the fuss about but it had me baffled for hours.

Another hurdle. Don't think this had anything to do with the vid, just Wamp being awkward.

Video states input 'root' for user and password when creating the database. But then come the start of the wordpress set up process unless I left password absolutely blank I kept getting the error message. So if you can't get any further forward may well be worth a try doing this. But I think this may just be an issue my end.

Another hurdle. Don't think this had anything to do with the vid, just Wamp being awkward.

Video states input 'root' for user and password when creating the database. But then come the start of the wordpress set up process unless I left password absolutely blank I kept getting the error message. So if you can't get any further forward may well be worth a try doing this. But I think this may just be an issue my end.

No, that's a difference between MAMP on a Mac and WAMP on Windows. Both pieces of software do the same thing -- allow you to run a server on your local computer -- but they do have different setups for some reason.

No, that's a difference between MAMP on a Mac and WAMP on Windows. Both pieces of software do the same thing -- allow you to run a server on your local computer -- but they do have different setups for some reason.

Thanks Ben,

It must be something my end as on the video you can see the guy set it up and I followed step by step and on the vid it works fine yet on mine it wont take the password no mater what.

Im suspecting this may well be down to the fact I have a later version of the software as the video was produced a year or so ago. Cant think what else. Actually I can, everything I touch I break haha. Its me!! Im a jinx!