Is tubmlr a better platform for a personal blog?

akurtula

Hi

It has been almost a year since I got the desire to start blogging. It would push me to learn more for the sake of writing about it. But I am scared of starting. It seems to be really hard and you would (I assume) have to be organized and committed to make it work

Few months a go I started using tumblr just to share images that I liked. And I was amazed how fast people started liking them and rebloging my shares (and it only looks like a big deal on the dashboard).

So I thought would tumblr be a good enough platform to start blogging? I am thinking of a blog where I would share what I am working on. short tutorials, for example 5 ways to use a PHP array, which you can imagine that being slightly longer than this entry.

My dream is not be to a big blog with a lot of followers (in fact if you said I can make that happen for you, I would say "no thanks") I am not good enough to write for a large audience (or any one at the moment), but a blog might help me personally and any beginner that may happen to stumble across the blog. Like a personal notes that if anyone else finds them useful "good for them"

On the other hand, if in two years time I become a good writer and have more to say, would this blow the chances of saying "OK this is the last post on tumblr, if you want more of me go to ... (wordpress blog)"

The thing is a tumblr blog with no comments or likes, feels better than a wordpress blog with no comments.

I am asking because I have not seen any tumblr blog where the author writes tutorials - or is it that I can't find them.

I hope you get my worries and hopefully you can give me some cool advice

Thanks so much

Thanks @Eric

At least this "fear" that I have that it be better to go with posterous/tumblr rather than wordpress; does it stand, Or am I talking rubbish. So for a blogger that is seeking what I am seeking, is the choice of platform as an issue as I am making it to be - or should just go with wordpress and see where it goes (I know how to use all three)

I would go with Wordpress. Ive pretty extensively messed with all three (tumblr, posterous, Wordpress) and for both desktop and mobile Wordpress is far more powerful.

I've set up a few different blogs recently. I prefer Wordpress. But I use posterous for it autopost feature. Aka I post once on posterous and it autopost it everywhere else I want. Like ping.fm but better.

Edited by Eric

So the idea of going with Wordpress you are isolated - is there anything in that.

So if I post something in tumblr, people will see it quicker and if I post in wordpress (hosted in my website) it would be like speaking to my self :) - because I small blog in google search can't really rank that high

I know I dont want a big blog but it would be nice to know that at least a person or two sees it.

Apart from these uncertainties, I too love wordpress more than other two as I use wordpress in my localhost and know the power and organization it has.

What do you think

Thanks a lot for your help by the way :)