How Much To Charge For Web work?

jbwebdesign

Hello,

I have a question for any developers out there......

As I build my experience in web development, I am noticing that there are many clients that are CHEAP and want everything for FREE or a little bit of money.

I started working for very little in the beginning of my career.....

I used to take full website projects for about $300.

I then started gaining more experience and learned how to price out each job and break it down hourly.

I am now thinking of Setting a BASE RATE of $1,400 on a Contractual Basis with all of my projects.

Does anyone have any opinion on this?

Is this a good idea?

• 1 month later...

My base rate is also over 1000$. Depending on which features they are asking for (e-commerce, login system), I charge more.

Dont sell yourself short. If people are hiring you at 1400$, then stick to that price.

• 6 months later...

For me, the important thing is the work and not the price. If you have good work so no doubt that clients may pay you on how you ask them. Let them see your Portfolio, website, past client experiences and reviews. One thing that clients overview is why they will pay working with no good work so better have a good work first then say your price.

• 1 month later...
If you have a good portfolio then you can demand more. As you said clients gonna try out to get things done for cheap.. i Dont blame them even we would have done the same.... Keep low base price and increase the price for each functionality...

Yes, I completely agree with johnanderson. Just keep a low base price and add on to the price for every extra functionality.

Things I've learned...

-Charge by the job ($1000+ is fair indeed for a modest site, if you are a skilled individual), not by the hour. 2 hours spent fixing a ridiculous IE bug isn't something the client really cares to know about or pay hourly for.

-Do use a contract, outlying exactly what functionality the client will get with the site (Because later they will ask for more, and they ought to pay for it). If it is not in the contract, it is not part of the deal.

-Do your job well (a given? Perhaps). Write code that will be good for future editing.

-It's alright to take a small hit sometimes for the sake of customer satisfaction (especially when you didn't cover the bases), with things like "Look man, tell ya what... I'll give this one to ya."

-Consider offering 'maintenance plans' -- monthly payment for sustained support and added functionality (particularly for stuff like e-commerce, blogs, forums...

-Give the client ideas. Inform them. There are things that non-web-folks don't even know would be really great to have in their site. Or conversely, things that are utterly horrible to have in their site (FLASH!). Mention things freely and often. They will often like the ideas and pay you to do them.

Edited by khanahk