Best CMS

oggyswain

If you had to program in one CMS language. What would it be.

My clients are asking me to allow them to make changes to there site. So I want to use one program language, whether its wordpress, Joomla etc.

What would you recommend that is easy for me and them. That allow the most versatility i.e. being able to use flash headers etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CMS are not languages, although a couple use their own language to modify things, like Drupal does..

Also "The Best" is rather personal opinion.

Wordpress & Joomla are likely the two leaders in the industry. It also depends on your/customer needs. Wordpress is actually a Blog software designed for Bloggers. It can be used as a CMS very easily, is is more likely used for "wordy web sites", they can write articles and the like easily.

Joomla is a true CMS meant for more in the like of Businesses. It has more plugins and other tools than Wordpress I think. But either will do the job quite well.

Best is to install both on a apache server on your PC or on your web server and play with them, see which ones allows YOU to better modify templates for an original look & feel for that customer. Check out the additions to it, see if what they want is available and easy to use. Keep in mind as well how comfortable the customer is with computers. Many here will give you an answer but it is just an opinion, in the end it is what you find best to work with for you and your customer, feel free to test some of the lesser known ones as well. Just because it is the most popular does not mean it is the best for every project and customers.

I am moving this into the CMS section simply so you can check other threads on the subject easily. I have some links is a rather older thread (2008) of mine on the subject.

• 8 months later...

If you had to program in one CMS language. What would it be.

My clients are asking me to allow them to make changes to there site. So I want to use one program language, whether its wordpress, Joomla etc.

What would you recommend that is easy for me and them. That allow the most versatility i.e. being able to use flash headers etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Both CMS wordpress and joomla are best CMS. This CMS makes the easily make attractive and beautiful. It is a open source means that person can easily makes changes and modification in the web site.

I agree with everything LSW said. I would like to ad however that word press has come a long way in the past couple of years. I like it better then Joomla as far as teaching a client on how to use the back end to update there site. It is a lot easier to learn. But again depends on your personnel preference. Joomla is better then word press for e-commerce. Although again there is a plug in for word press called dukapress that is easy to learn and has everything thing you need for e-commerce and is easy to customize. You will have to experiment like LSW said to see which one works best for you. But again if you have never used a CMS as it sounds like you have not, you can learn word press in a lot less time then Joomla.

• 1 month later...