How can I get a job as a website designer?

lucid1

Last year I graduated a website designer/developer program at college, and I haven't been able to get hired at any company yet and I'm hoping I can get some advice on how I can get a job in the industry.

A little background on me: I mentioned I graduated from a program (with honours, if that even matters) from a major College in my city. I have about 9 pretty decent websites in my portfolio, worked with several clients and would say that I'm an expert in HTML and CSS. I have a pretty solid understanding of Javascript, Flash, Actionscript, Design (in general and websites specifically), SEO, website usability, photoshop, illustrator and dreamweaver. My PHP and MYSQL game could use some improvement but thats something I'm working on.

So what can I do to help me get a job, even if it was an entry level junior position. Do I need more experience? Do I need to learn other languages like AJAX or XML (or anything else for that matter?). What specifically do I need to know? What qualities do these companies look for in an individual? Any advice anyone could give would be much appreciated!

It's a hard world out there and jobs are very hard to find even for highly qualified people.

Your portfolio and it is a little old fashioned design wise and code wise, some of your sites use tables for layout. In this market, a prospective employer is more interested in a Wow portfolio than a college degree, and will look at the front end for design and the back end for code and will eventually employ the cream of the crop at unfortunately cut throat salaries.

I would suggest getting experience with Wordpress (very much in demand these days) and of course PHP. Also try offering web work to non profit organizations or churches in your area to get your foot in the door.

Good luck