Marquee/Scrollers

newseed

Over the years I detest marquees and auto-scrollers. From a surfer's perspective, I find them difficult to read and control. With that in mind, I don't encourage my clients to use them. I don't think I even seen one in over two years until now...

Just recently I found these two links: this one and this one.

It seems to be an improvment but I still don't like them. Maybe it's me but I would like people's opinions from a surfer's perspective and not a developer's perspective.

Thanks.

Edited by newseed

The first link's broken. Overall, a bit of scrolling text is a bit of scrolling text in the end, whether it's in the form of a marquee or Javascript. I'd imagine that both are just as accessible as they're both plain text after all.

Generally, from the perspective of both developers and surfers, anything that moves or flickers on its own is rather tacky these days.

From a surfer view - makes them questionable in their professionalism.

As a person with disabilities - they really suck, I cannot concentrate on them to read. They are distracting and irritating.

That all said, at least both of them stop the scrolling when you mouse over them. That is a plus, but I did not check to see if keyboard focus does the same. Also the user must know/think to try mousing over them. Controlling it for longer text than shown could be tricky too trying to stop, read what you can see, start again to the new text and stop it again.

Side to side scrolling is always a bad choice, at least only with short text. Longer text should always scroll vertically (naturally). But the best is always to allow the user to scroll as they need. Auto scrolling wioll always be to fast or slow for any number of people as we all read at different speeds, then their is comprehending the text for people like me with Cognitive disabilities and of course non natural speakers of the language in use.