should HTML5 and CSS3 be used right now?

akurtula

Hi

Based on the fact that I have too much to learn (in order to catch up) and the fact that is wasn't fully developed, I did not bother learning CSS3 and HTML5 in great detail,

This question may have been asked before but I could not find anything useful. So are CSS3 and HTML5 ready to be used right now? Basically would it be safe to have a website written totally in CSS3 and HTML5 or are these two still to be used only if you want that extra enhancement in special cases for a selection of browsers?

Thanks

It's quite safe to use the HTML5 doctype now.

As far as the HTML5 new element tags are concerned, they won't process in old IE versions, so you need to use the javascript shim (or shiv) which means you can then use <header> <aside> etc and use styles like margin, bacground, etc. for them.

Add this in the head section:-

<!--[if lt IE 9]>
   <script src="http://html5shiv.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>
   <![endif]-->

As far as the new CSS3 features are concerned, some are not processed by some browsers, see

http://www.findmebyip.com/litmus/

so choose to use only the ones that are processed by all main browsers.

For some that aren't well supported, like <video> and <canvas>, it's probably best to continue with an old method that is still supported by all browsers (object and embed tag for video and audio or flash).

HTML5 and CSS3 are still in beta but it seems that the main structure will not be changed.

The "correct" answer is "No, you should not use them". CSS2 and HTML 4.3 are the current standards for web design.

But that said, like Wickham says, HTML5, at least, is currently open for comments by developers, so it needs to be used by someone. Then it needs to get tweaked and then it will go up for a vote to make it a standard. It is far enough along that the only likely changes would be little more than cosmetic changes. So it could be considered safe enough for use, as long as you understand it is not a standard yet nor will not likely to be until after 2015 per W3C Timeline as I recall. This is a long drawn out business developing standards.

You do run the risk (rather small) that something will change and break all your sites.

• 9 months later...

Hi

Based on the fact that I have too much to learn (in order to catch up) and the fact that is wasn't fully developed, I did not bother learning CSS3 and HTML5 in great detail,

This question may have been asked before but I could not find anything useful. So are CSS3 and HTML5 ready to be used right now? Basically would it be safe to have a website written totally in CSS3 and HTML5 or are these two still to be used only if you want that extra enhancement in special cases for a selection of browsers?

Thanks

Definitely you can go for CSS3 and HTML5. It is safe to be use on the site and can be used with other technologies. It is now a days display used as technology known as ideal unifying.

• 7 months later...